Vehicle Registration Process For Imported Vehicles In Spain
The information on this page pertains to cars, trucks, and other vehicles that are shipped to Spain for permanent use. If you are bringing a vehicle into the country for temporary use, it may driven without Spanish registration, provided it has current tags and a clean title. Temporary usage only applies for six months.
You’ll need more than just your personal identification and the title of your vehicle to get it registered in Spain. Here are the essential documents required:
- Purchase invoice (original & copy)
- Current driver’s license & passport
- Proof of vehicle insurance
- Proof of VAT (Value Added Tax) payment
- Certificate of conformity (see roadworthiness test below)
- Proof of residence (Padron)
The shipping company should be able to help with some of this if you have any questions, but their specialty is more on the side of the transport process.
Most registration processes in Spain go through the Jefatura Provincial de Tráfico, which has local offices throughout the country. For more information about registering a car or truck in Spain, check the resources at the bottom of the page for links to the official bodies that oversee the process.
Want to know more about shipping a vehicle to Spain? Click this link to visit our international shipping page and you’ll learn about cost expectations, how to best prepare for overseas auto transport! There’s also a wealth of other useful resources and links available on the page.
Roadworthiness Test (Inspección Técnica de Vehículos)
As is the case with other European countries, newly registered vehicles must undergo a roadworthiness inspection to make sure it’s in good working condition. The test can be done at a number of locations throughout the country and examines the basic functions and components of the car, truck, van, or motorcycle.
Inspected components of the vehicle include lights, mirrors, turn signals, tires, seat belts, shocks, alignment, and vehicle emissions. If a vehicle does not pass the technical inspection, you have one month to repair the issue and take the test again.
Vehicle & Registration Resources: Spain
La Dirección General de Tráfico – A good resource for road safety, general information about operating vehicles in Spain, getting a license, and travel tips. La Dirección General de Tráfico is an official governmental body of Spain under the Ministry of the Interior.
Toll Roads In Spain – Spain does not have an extensive toll system, but some of the busier motorways do have tolls. This resource lets you know which roads require a toll and each one has an attached PDF that indicates the cost (they vary slightly).
Shipping a vehicle to Spain? Contact us today to learn more about it, have your questions answered, or if you’d like a FREE cost estimate for shipping, either one way or round trip! We’re happy to answer your questions and help in any way we can!
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?