Shipping an oversized vehicle can be difficult, but it’s certainly not impossible to do. An oversized vehicle is defined as being a vehicle that can’t fit onto an open auto transport trailer. This means that it requires the use of a flatbed to be attached to an auto transport truck. The reason why standard auto transport vehicles can’t transport an oversized vehicle is because the trucks that they use will often contain hydraulic lifts on both sides, especially if it’s a double-decker carrier. The oversized vehicle will literally not have enough space to fit inside of it, especially with the height restrictions that trucks have to abide by.
Why Shipping an Oversized Vehicle is Difficult
If your particular vehicle is a utility truck or some other vehicle where there is attached equipment to it, it will be oversized. If your vehicle is taller than the norm, it will be oversized. Weight is not necessarily a factor in most cases.
Some examples of oversized vehicles are limousines, buses, large vans, and pickup trucks with oversized tires or construction equipment, as well as the Ford E-550.
The auto transport broker that you decide to hire will not be easily able to find a carrier to transport your oversized vehicle initially. They will not be able to deal with the carriers that they normally would contact. What this results in is a dispatch process that is much slower. Brokers often work with carriers that they have worked with in the past, which results in a speedier process and better rates. Now, with an oversized vehicle, they would have to search for a carrier that offers this specialty service.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
The Burden to You
Because of the difficulty involved, you will experience some delay in the time it takes for your oversized vehicle to be picked up and eventually delivered to its final destination. You will also be charged much more, as it is not too common, meaning that the basic laws of supply and demand in terms of prices takes over.
Since the transport trucks with flatbeds have to adhere to increases in rules and regulations in transporting an oversized vehicle on the road, their fuel economy also decreases the longer the route is, resulting in the costs being transferred to you.
To overcome many of these burdens, you should:
- Plan ahead as much as possible in anticipation of the longer delivery time
- Budget yourself to take into account the increase in price in comparison to shipping a normal vehicle
A-1 Auto Transport has a wealth of experience in shipping oversized vehicles. We will try to make the process as painless as possible and ensure that your delivery time is reasonable and the cost is affordable. Shipping oversized vehicles don’t have to be such an arduous process. Get in touch with our customer service representatives today and start the process!
Related Information & FAQ
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory