Surabaya is the capital of the Jawa Timur which is located on the northeastern island of Java. It is the second largest city in Indonesia and it’s the third largest metropolitan area as well after Jakarta and Bandung.
There are a lot of restrictions that you would have to go through when importing a vehicle but you have to know that transporting a car is more than possible. Furthermore, you want to know that there are exemptions if you are on a diplomatic mission. New cars could also be imported but you would have to pay a 300% tax on them based on the particular value of the vehicle. Whether you want to get your car into Indonesia basically depends on how much you need it.
There are plenty of papers to submit to get the import validation from Indonesian Customs department. The documentation that you would need includes:
- Original passport valid for at least 12 months.
- Original working permit.
- Original Residence permit.
- Customs Application.
- Guarantee from the bank.
- Vaccinations on occasion.
- Inventory of the vehicle/container.
Tax exemption Regulations.
There are a lot of regulations that have to be abided by. You would have to clear customs as all the shipments are 100% inspected. You have to understand that if you are a returning citizen who has lived abroad for at least 3 years and you must be the owner of the vehicle /household goods for a minimum of 2 years. That’s going to allow you to import your items duty free.
Furthermore, you have to understand that there is only one shipment of household goods allowed per family. Furthermore, all the cargo/vehicle must arrive within 3 months after a KITAS Card has been issued. It is widely unwise to ship in boxes as this could delay the shipping clearance.
Indonesia is definitely a place that’s hard to get clearance. Normal clearances are going to take between 7 and 10 days to get cleared if all the documentation is in order. The average time to obtain the document certifying legal work and residence permits are going to take between two and four weeks after the arrival and the visa is valid for one year and issued by Embassy of Indonesia. It is highly recommended that the shipper prepares a list of all the documentation that needs to be obtained as he would know what is necessary.
Shipping methods vary but the two most preferable ones are RoRo and Container Shipping. RoRo is quite convenient if you want to get the delivery quick. However, you won’t be able to ship additional goods with this method and you need to make sure that the vehicle is thoroughly cleared. You can’t leave nothing but the car jack, floor mats and spare tire in it. You can also use container shipment if you want to ensure the protection of your vehicle as the car would be shipped in a container which is thoroughly enclosed. You can ship additional goods until you fill up the container. Of course, you could also go for air shipping but that’s the most expensive method and a lot of people stay away from it.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory