Ship Your Car To Or From Shah Alam, Malaysia
Shah Alam is the capital city of Selangor district in Malaysia. It is located close to the Petaling District. Shah Alam is the first city that was properly planned and designed after independence from Britain in 1957.
Learn more about shipping vehicles to Malaysia.
If you plan to visit Malaysia anytime soon, or if you want to stay and live here, you may want to consider bringing your own vehicle with you in order to get around. Shipping a vehicle to Malaysia from the United States could cost anywhere from $2,400 up to $4,900 or more, depending on the size of your vehicle and time of importing the vehicle.
There will also be certain rules and regulations that will need to be adhered to in order to successfully guarantee that your vehicle can be driven in Malaysia once it arrives. You will need to come up with the right documents in order to transport successfully. It is important to plan your trip accordingly and that means that you also need to consider the climate as well. The climate is tropical which means that the humidity is common and nights can be cool. The rainy seasons for Malaysia include November, December, January, and February. August is a wet month for this part of the world as well so if you are transporting, you may want to avoid these months in order to stay on track. You can monitor the rainfall and wet seasons for Malaysia prior to your shipping date.
Required Documents for Shipping a Vehicle to Malaysia
As you prepare for your shipment to Malaysia, you will need to gather up the following documents and make copies to send with your vehicle and to verify your ownership when you pick it up at the port in Malaysia. These documents include:
- The title to your vehicle
- Registration from the United States
- Your purchase invoice
- Your passport to show and a copy of it
- Proof that you own the vehicle
- Residence permit in Malaysia
- Insurance proof from the United States
- Permission statement from the shipping company/Private individual
In order to transport a vehicle to Malaysia, you will need to choose cargo ship as the means of travel and you will have two shipping options to choose from; Roll On/ Roll Off or container. You can find out more about these papers and the right documentation by contacting the Royal Malaysian Customs Department.
Before Shipping the Vehicle
When traveling to Shah Alam, your vehicle should have no movable or detachable parts on it that could come off during the transport process. Your vehicle will also need to be cleaned out completely inside and out, if your choosing the Roll On/ Roll Off shipping method, your vehicle will need to be thoroughly cleaned in order to avoid quarantine. You will also be required to remove the air conditioning gases in your vehicle before it can be boarded onto the ship. You can find out more about the requirements by referring to Title 19 of the U.S. Code of Federal Regulations.
Auto Transportation Methods to Malaysia
There are two methods of shipping when going to Malaysia are Roll on/Roll Off shipping and container shipping.
- Roll On/ Roll Off, also known as RORO is the most common method of transport because it is simple and is more affordable. Vehicles that choose this method are driven onto the deck of the carrier ship where it is parked in a bay and harnessed for the trip. Once your vehicle reaches the port in Malaysia, it is started and driven off of the deck of the ship and turned over to customs to clear before you are allowed to pick it up.
- Container shipping is another option however this is the most expensive method of shipping. With this method, your vehicle will be parked inside of a container measuring either 20 foot or 40 foot in size. This container is large enough for your vehicle and any personal items you would like to send over to Malaysia with you. Or if you prefer to lower your cost while protecting your vehicle during the trip, you can share the container with someone else heading in that same direction. A-1 Auto Transport Service has agents that are experienced in helping your plan for shipping your vehicle to Malaysia.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.