- Car Shipping Kandahar
- Cost & Time Examples For Shipping A Car To Kandahar
- Specific Limitations On Import
- Eligibility For Exemption
- Ways To Transport The Vehicle
Car Shipping Kandahar
Kandahar is a densely populated and second-largest city in Afghanistan. There may be many reasons if you intend moving to Afghanistan for an extended period of time or even a few months. A landlocked country, Afghanistan has rugged terrain and unreliable public transportation, which is one of the reasons it would be worth having a personal vehicle here. You will be able to avoid the barriers of language and can travel with greater ease when you are in Kandahar.
Cost & Time Examples For Shipping a Car to Kandahar
|Kandahar to (New York port) to New York, NY||$275||$2500||29+5 days|
|Kandahar to (California port) to Los Angeles||$350||$2800||39+5 days|
|Kandahar to (New York port) to Boston, MA||$400||$2500||29+5 days|
|Portland, OR to (California port) to Kandahar||$475||$2800||39+6 days|
|Kandahar to (California port) to Phoenix, AZ||$550||$2800||39+6 days|
|Detroit, MI to (New York port) to Kandahar||$575||$2500||29+6 days|
|Kandahar to (New York port) to Atlanta, GA||$700||$2500||29+6 days|
|Denver, CO to (California port) to Kandahar||$775||$2800||39+7 days|
|Memphis, TN to (New York port) to Kandahar||$800||$2500||29+6 days|
|Dallas, TX to (California port) to Kandahar||$1,025||$2800||39+7 days|
*Prices and times are estimated. They can vary depending on the season and the type of vehicle.
*Save the ground transport cost by delivering the vehicle to the nearest port.
*Allow an additional 10 days to process the documents.
*Prices are for 1 car in a dedicated 20ft container. This is the safest and most reliable way to transport a vehicle internationally. Other items may be included in the container to help save you money when moving.
*Using the RoRo (roll on, roll off) method is less expensive and shipments can be completed in fewer days. Contact us now for a free RoRo quote.
Get a Free, No Obligation to Buy, Auto Shipping Quote.Get my free quote now
or call us to do it for you:
Specific limitations on import.
There are limitations on vehicle import as the Afghan government only allows diplomats, and foreigners with work permits and resident visas to bring in vehicles. The Afghan Custom Department levies 25% of the vehicle’s value as import tax. Although most expatriates and foreign national have to pay it, the diplomats have immunity from import tax on personal vehicles.
Before you start the process of importing the vehicle, it is better to find a reliable international shipping service that has experience transporting vehicles to Afghanistan with ease. And that is why A1 Auto Transport service is needed. We will help you submit the requisite documentations at the U.S Customs and Border Protection and then with the custom officials at Kandahar. These documents are:
- Title deed.
- Registration of the vehicle.
- Detailed vehicle purchase bill.
- Shipping documents and Insurance policy.
- Bill of Lading.
- Ownership proof- passport.
- U.S-issued driving license.
Eligibility for Exemption.
The diplomats are exempted from paying the custom duties and taxes levied by the government in Kandahar. However, to prove their eligibility, they have to show and submit a few documents. These are:
- Tax exemption form.
- Diplomat’s passport and copies.
- Request letter for Customs clearances from Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Ministry of Finance.
- Letter from Embassy.
Due to instability, red tape and political turmoil, delays are not uncommon and import clearances can take time. Additionally, regulations and laws change quickly and even diplomatic procedures take over a week. This is one of the reasons that you need to work with us. We recommend that you submit the documents with us in advance, even before the shipment arrives in Kandahar as the processing time might take a long period and even if additional documents are needed, there will be time to arrange them. However your presence is important when the car arrives in the city.
Ways to transport the vehicle.
As Afghanistan is a landlocked nation, all sea faring freight goes through the ports in Pakistan or Iran and is then driven across to Afghanistan or is loaded on multi-carriers and transported over land to Kandahar. You can use barrage shipping through river Amu Darya. However, when you are shipping from USA, the most commonly used methods include:
- Roll-on/Roll-Off (RORO): This is the most cost effective method and the car is not secured within a container but driven on the ship at the US port and driven off at the last port of destination in Pakistan or Iran, as specified. You are only allowed to keep a set of keys, jack and a spare tire while all personal items have to be removed. You will only pay for the space that the car was parked on.
- Ship by container: The other method adds an extra layer of security as the vehicle is packed along with household goods within 20 feet or 40 feet container. This helps to protect the vehicle from the weather conditions and collision damage. You can put your personal items inside the container without any restrictions. However, this is expensive as you will have to pay for the container and the space occupied by it.
To know more about the import eligibility, details and the current laws, contact the Embassy of Afghanistan.