Located about 2 km from the center of Nuku’alofa, Haveluloto is a small town in Tonga. With over one hundred and fifty islands that range from over seven hundred thousand kilometers, the warm tropical climate on Tonga Island may make you want to stay around for a while.
If you plan to stay, you will want to travel around on the island in your own vehicle. You can export your vehicle to Tonga by using the professionals at A-1 Auto Transport. Your vehicle will be in good hands and in the condition you left it.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Vehicle Requirements when Exporting to Tonga.
There are rules and regulations of Tongan Ministry of Revenue and Customs Services that have to be followed when bringing your vehicle into Haveluloto. Both new and used vehicles must follow all requirements in order to gain access. The certification process begins with all the correct documentation you will need to provide. This documentation will show the government that your vehicle is safe and the odometer readings are correct. Vehicles that seat at least nine passengers must also comply with a frontal impact safety standard. Vehicles brought over to Tonga must also pass a physical inspection to ensure that all the components on your vehicle follow the standard requirements in safety.
Associated Import Charges and Tariff Duty.
There are no tariff duties to pay when transporting a vehicle to Tonga. If you are bringing over a mobile home or an ambulance, they will however be subject to tariff duties. To determine custom charge, you will need to know the market value of your vehicle, insurance costs, and the registration fees. You will need to pay a goods and services tax, GST which is currently 15%. The goods and services tax is determined by the customs value of your vehicle in addition to the shipping fees and the insurance costs totaled.
Import related Documentation.
Once your vehicle has arrived and is inspected, Tongan Customs Department will clear it after you have shown the following paperwork:
- Form IE462.
- Bill of Lading.
- Odometer at the time you transported the vehicle.
- Invoice showing the price of your vehicle the year that you purchased it as well as the year of it.
- Registration paperwork.
If your vehicle is entering Tonga, it may be considered for concessionary entry, depending on the following:
- Your vehicle cannot be for financial gain – only personal use
- Your documentation shows a permanent address on the date that it is being imported
- Documentation that states that you are responsible for any customs fees inquired due to your vehicle if the vehicle is sold or if it was disposed of during the first two years after it has been imported.
- The vehicle has been owned by you for at least a year before it was transferred.
- If you have resided in the Tonga/New Zealand area for at least twenty-one months before the vehicle has been imported.
It’s important that you are able to ship your vehicle in a safe manner. You know that you can’t place your personal items inside your car during shipping however if you are shipping a vehicle inside of a 20 or 40 foot container, you are allowed to place household goods inside the container with the vehicle. Before you pack, talk to the professionals at A1 Auto Transport to determine what options are available for your car. You may also find answers at the Embassy of Tonga too.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?