The Process Of Registering A Vehicle In Kosovo
Visiting southeastern Europe could mean a trek through Kosovo. Landlocked with two distinct nationalities – Albanian and Serbian – the country has a little more than 1.8 million people.
If you’re thinking about moving there or even driving through, take a gander at the following tidbits of information for registering your vehicle in the country.
What You Need To Know
First things first: Your vehicle has to clear customs before you can register it. That means checking off the duty fee from customs, an excise tax and a value-added tax.
After that, your car goes to the Ministry of Infrastructure’s Transport Department where you’ll have to pay 40 euros for vehicles up to 3.5 tons. For vehicles heavier than that, car owners are looking at an extra 90 euros.
Don’t forget about insurance. All vehicles riding the roads of Kosovo are required to be insured by a Kosovo-based insurance company.
And you’re not done yet. Documentation from customs, the transport department and insurance must be collected for a final submission. This is under the Motor Vehicle Office for Kosovo, which retains a database of vehicles in the country.
As if the database wasn’t extensive enough, the make, model, mileage and other nitty gritty pieces of data are registered.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Here’s a quick checklist of the above items as well as some other documents you’ll need:
- Proof of ownership
- Receipt of the producer
- Customs document
- Proof of registration with the Transport Department
- Insurance policy
- Payment proof for the ecology, administrative, road and municipal taxes
To find out more about how to ship a vehicle to Kosovo, click here to visit our overseas shipping page! It’s filled with helpful tips and information about the process, what documents you’ll need, and more!
Rules Of The Road: Driving Precautions In Kosovo
Rules Of The Road
Here are a some quick guidelines for your drive.
- Seat belts are mandatory at all times
- Licenses can be confiscated at any time for various penalties
- Drivers coming into the country may need to buy insurance at the border
Driving In Kosovo
The U.S. State Department classifies the roads of Kosovo as hazardous, with flooded roads that are too narrow. Drivers don’t obey the speed limit and make risky, unpredictable moves. While vehicles use the road, drivers will also see armored vehicles with carts pulled by horses.
In the mountains, there is a lack of signage and guard rails while there is an abundance of fog that usually obscures the road. There are rainy months in the country that make these mountain roads all but impossible to pass.
Kosovo Vehicle Registration Resources
Vehicle Import Information – A breakdown of some key information for importing your car into Kosovo, including percentages for customs duties and value added tax on imported vehicles.
Kosovo Motor Vehicle Office – Important information about insurance, liability and the laws governing operating a motor vehicle in Kosovo.
If you need help or have questions about shipping a vehicle to Kosovo, give us a call today at the number at the top of the page! Our helpful staff are on hand to answer your questions and we always offer FREE price quotes to any part of the world!
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory