What is the IRS Changes to Overseas Shipping Rules?
Identity theft continues to be a big issue in overseas shipping, especially with the multitude of scams that are in existence. One action that the IRS has taken to try and rectify this issue is in changing the identification requirements that are needed in order to ship cars internationally.
In the past, the ID number that was used was the person's Social Security number. Now, they have recently changed the required ID to be one's Employee Identification Number, which is also known as EIN.
Not to worry though. Obtaining an Employee Identification Number is quite easy to do if you follow along with our steps listed below, not to mention is also completely free to obtain.
A-1 Auto Transport ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
How to Get Your Employee Identification Number (EIN)
As already mentioned, getting yours is quite easy, as long as you follow the following steps:
- Visit www.irs.gov.
- Click on "ONLINE SERVICES" on the lower left-hand corner. Then, click on "Online Employer Identification Number.
- On the new page, click on "APPLY ONLINE NOW."
- Next, click on "Begin Application" (the page should say "Important Information Before You Begin").
- At the top of the next page, click on "Sole Proprietor." Then, scroll down on the page and click on "CONTINUE."
- Click on "Sole Proprietor" again and then "CONTINUE," as this page is designed to confirm your choice.
- On the next screen that appears, "Why is the Sole Proprietor requesting an EIN?" click on "STARTED A NEW BUSINESS." Don't worry - it doesn't mean you have to be a business owner. Click on "CONTINUE."
- Next, click on "I am the sole proprietor" on the new screen.
- Make sure to list your address in the United States, rather than the address abroad. This is if you want your Employee Identification Number mailed to you. Then click "CONTINUE."
- This new screen will ask you to list your country of residence, as well as your current state and the date. Fill it out and then click on "CONTINUE" followed by listing the most up-to-date address that you have in the United States
- You will now have to answer some questions. Just select "NO" for every single one of them and click on "CONTINUE."
- On the next screen, state that you want an Employee Identification Number because of export reasons. Click "OTHER" at the bottom of the screen and make sure to type in "FULFILLING FEDERAL REQUIREMENT IN ORDER TO EXPORT." Finally, click on "CONTINUE."
- The last screen that you will encounter is called "How Would You Like to Receive Your EIN Confirmation Letter?" You should choose "RECEIVE LETTER ONLINE." The reason why this is the best option to chose is that it will be instant and you don't have to wait for it to arrive in the mail, meaning that you don't have to be delayed in shipping your vehicle abroad.
- Finally, click on "CONTINUE" where you will now receive your EIN. Make sure to print out the page or screen capture it for your own records.
In order to reach the IRS directly, you contact them at 1-800-829-4933.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.