How to Properly Prepare an RV for Transport
The proper preparation of the RV is at the responsibility of the owner or shipping customer. When prepared properly, the RV remains safer from harm. Those caring for the RV’s shipping process will also be kept much safer. If you fail to fulfill the requests for preparing the RV, it may get denied delivery and if damages occur, the insurance company may deny any claim made.
A-1 Auto Transport ships vehicles worldwide. Click Here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Below, you’ll learn how to properly prepare your RV for its shipping process.
- If you’re delivering the RV to another country, call the embassy for the nation that you’re delivering the vehicle to. They’ll give you the latest import guidelines and tax rates. You must fulfill any requirements in order to achieve import approval from Customs.
- Shut and secure all doors, windows, cabinets and drawers. Make sure all wall hangings, artwork and home décor are secured as well.
- Disconnect all electric powered or gas activated appliances and electronics.
- Make sure the tires are in decent condition and filled with air.
- Make sure all fluid levels are full and level. Also check for any leaks. If there leaks, have them repaired before the shipping date. It’s always wise to have professional maintenance done before you have the RV delivered.
- Remove all valuable and personal items from the RV. The transport company will not be held responsible for such items if they were to end up lost or stolen.
- All lights must function properly. Check the hitch and tow bar as well to ensure they are properly secured and hooked up.
- Document existing damages and even take pictures of the RV’s interior and exterior for proof of its condition before the transport is underway.
- Have all paperwork, directions and keys ready for the transport company when they arrive to pick up the RV.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.