Estonia Vehicle Registration Process | A-1 Auto Transport
Vehicles shipped to Estonia can be registered at any Estonian Road Administration bureau (see link at the bottom of this page). The Estonian Road Administration differentiates between new and used vehicles, but the procedure of registration is more or less the same and requires the following documents.
Vehicle Registration Process & Required Documents
- Roadworthiness test
- Application form
- Proof of ownership
- Certificate of conformity
- Customs documentation
Estonian Taxes On Imported Vehicles
There is not much an import tax on vehicle shipped to Estonia, provided the vehicle is registered within the first five days of your arrival and you gain residency status within the first 12 months. Generally speaking the registration process is a little easier for cars that are more common, whereas it may take a little longer with less popular models or classic vehicles.
If you’d like more information or have questions about shipping and registering a car in Estonia, we have another resource you might find helpful on our international shipping page. We are happy to field your questions and offer FREE cost estimates for any type of vehicle shipment to Estonia.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Roadworthiness Test | Registering A Vehicle In Estonia
The roadworthiness test is one of the biggest obstacles for people shipping a vehicle to Estonia. The reason being that it’s not a typical requirement in the U.S. and tends to fall more in line with a mechanical inspection. For newly registered vehicles, the roadworthiness inspection will be done on initial registration, four years from that date, and every two years thereafter.
Estonian Roadworthiness Test
Every vehicle must have an EU roadworthiness certificate, which means for most people shipping a car to Estonia, they will have to have the following checked on their vehicle:
- Windshield wiper and windshield
- Lights, including headlamps, brakes, turn signals and hazard lights
- Seat belts
- Steering column & wheel
- Brakes & suspension
- Emission inspection
For more information about the vehicle inspection and roadworthiness test, see the link below for the European Commission.
Vehicle Resources For Estonia
Estonian Road Administration – The road administration website for the Republic of Estonia includes several helpful links and informational pages about driving, licensing, permits, and foreign vehicles.
European Commission Vehicle Inspection – The mobility and transport section of the website has information about vehicle inspections as well as a number of other vehicle related services.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?