Denmark Vehicle Registration: Process & Procedures
There are some challenges to registering a vehicle in Denmark, but it’s no more difficult than any other Scandinavian country. Here are the basic steps involved in registering an imported vehicle in the country.
Denmark Vehicle Registration
- Inspection forms, both vehicle and customs
- Certificate of registration
- Proof of customs payment
- Application for registration tax
Once these steps have been completed, you take the forms to a local tax office (SKAT) to complete the process.
It should be noted that the information on this page refers to vehicles that permanently imported. Vehicles that are imported into Denmark on a temporary basis do not need to be registered in the country. In order to qualify for temporary import, the vehicle must be used less than 185 days when a one year timeframe. In these instances, paying registration taxes is not required in Denmark as long as it is current in the home country.
For readers that are considering shipping a private vehicle to Denmark, we strongly recommend looking over our shipping page for the country. You’ll find information there about the importing process, the required documents and much more!
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Getting A Driver License In Denmark
Under previous rules, foreign drivers importing a car into Denmark would be required to take both driving classes and a certification test. As of 2016, this is no longer needed for those bringing a car into the country from the U.S. In order to qualify for this exemption, foreign drivers must sign a written declaration that their license has been in good standing for five years and they have been driving on a regular basis for the last two.
If you are moving to Denmark on a permanent basis and bringing a vehicle with you, you will need to get a local driver’s license. In order to do this, the following will be required:
- Passport & Visa
- Certificate of health (from MD)
- CPR number (ID card)
- Current license from home country
- Payment of processing fee
- Multiple passport photo
After these steps are completed, you will still need to take a driving test that is given in Danish. If you don’t have a good grasp of the language, you will need to hire a translator or service to help you with this portion of the process.
Denmark Vehicle Registration Resources
Denmark Tax Office (SKAT) – This is where you’ll have to go to complete the steps mentioned above, as well as pay applicable taxes, and importing or exporting a personal vehicle.
Denmark Driving Guidelines – An excellent resource for any first-time or returning drivers in Denmark. Included is information about licensing, speed limits, right of way and cell phone usage while driving.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory