- The Process Of Registering A Vehicle In Bulgaria
- Registering A Vehicle In Bulgaria
- Taxes To Expect
- Driving Requirements & Road Rules
- Bulgaria Vehicle & Registration Resources
The Process Of Registering A Vehicle in Bulgaria
So you want to check out Bulgaria as a country to live in. And you want to bring your car with you? Excellent. The European Union member nation makes it relatively easy for EU nationals to register their car in the nation.
Here are tips and general pieces of information that will help you ease your transition into Bulgaria.
Registering A Vehicle In Bulgaria
To register a car in an EU member nation, you’ll need the following items:
- A valid Bulgarian identification card
- Third-party insurance that can be quickly purchased
- Proof of aid eco tax
- Current registration documents from the EU
- Current or export license plates
- Proof of ownership
Cars can also be registered as a company asset if you register a company in Bulgaria. Otherwise, people registering their cars need to become long-term residents with a Bulgarian ID.
The process for obtaining an ID card is relatively straightforward with people who are EU nationals. Those with valid identification cards can stay for as long as three months without registering. However people looking to stay longer must register with the country’s Migration Police.
EU Nationals that show an address where they are staying and proof of economic self-support are able to apply for a long-term resident certificate, which includes an ID card.
For vehicles registered in other EU member nations, there is a one month grace period to register the vehicle in Bulgaria. There are exemptions for this including:
- Students studying in Bulgaria from another EU nation are not obligated to register or pay a vehicle. However they need a valid civil liability insurance for the vehicle.
- Those who have a second home in Bulgaria that do not use it for more than six months do not have to register vehicles.
If you’re shipping a car, truck, motorcycle, or any other type of vehicle to Bulgaria, the information on our international shipping page will be helpful. There you’ll find out about how much shipping costs, what’s required, and you can get a FREE estimate in a matter of minutes!
Get a Free, No Obligation to Buy, Auto Shipping Quote.Get my free quote now
or call us to do it for you:
Taxes to Expect
There are number of taxes and fees to pay in order to register and drive a car in Bulgaria.
- A product tax for products that lead to the generation of widespread waste
- A circulation tax on passenger vehicles according to their engine power
Driving Requirements & Road Rules
An international driving permit is sufficient to propel a vehicle in Bulgaria, though the minimum driving age for the country is 18 years of age.
Among the list of documents required to be carried while driving are a driver’s license or permit, proof of insurance, identification and the vehicle ownership certificate. Outside of those documents, each vehicle is required to have a warning triangle for roadside emergencies, a fire extinguisher, a reflective jacket and headlamp beam deflectors.
You shouldn't count on finding perfectly paved roads anywhere in the country. You can anticipate a lot of roadwork in the form of potholes, rockslides, stray animals, and lots of ice. It is not advisable to get into an argument with a local, as they tend to have an aggressive driving attitude.
Bulgaria Vehicle & Registration Resources
Registration Issues & Procedures - A quick breakdown of the identification and registration process for people planning to become long-term residents. This is essential to registering a vehicle in the country.
Registration & Tax Info - Official portal for the European Union that gives general tips for registering a vehicle in Bulgaria, as well as related taxes.