Not everyone has experience with transporting an automobile overseas, but there are companies that make it possible. Ethiopia has lenient shipping regulations unlike other parts of the continent.
There are a few things that should be addressed before transport begins.
Make sure to document any damages to the vehicle and the gas tank should be emptied. Don’t forget to remove any valuables, and have the car serviced prior to its scheduled ship date. Do not pack sensitive items inside of the car such as your photo ID, social security card or birth certificate. Certain documentation will need to be provided before the shipping process can occur. The Embassy of Ethiopia can give you the current import policy regulations if you give them a call.
How to Start the Shipping Process
- Contact a reputable automotive shipping service – The DOT database can provide information about the legitimacy of the company you are considering.
- Discuss a quote – Shipping services can determine how much transporting your vehicle will cost through information such as distance, weight and the type of vehicle.
- Prepare necessary documentation – In order for a shipping service to process a transaction, the customer must provide certain information. Your license, passport, registration, title and the exact dimensions of your vehicle are required.
Typically, shipping companies can ship a car to Ethiopia in two ways, container shipping, and the roll on, roll off method. A representative of the shipping company will be able to help you select a shipping method that will best suit your needs. Larger vehicles such as an SUV or a bus will be charged with the oversize fee. Each method of transportation has its own set of regulations and both vary in price.
Avoid contacting the shipping service on short notice because you will be subject much higher fees for deadline jobs. It’s recommended to reach the company at least two weeks in advance so that you not only save money but so you can prepare for the shipping process. You can expect a ship date at their earliest convenience but they will accommodate your schedule as much as possible.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?