As an active serving military officer, after you get the PCS orders, you have the option of shipping your personal vehicle overseas. However, it is important that the POV or privately owned vehicle is authorized on the PCS orders.
Although the first POV is shipped overseas, to your new station of duty at government cost, you might need to pay import duties on the second vehicle. It is best to consult with an international shipping company like A1 Auto Transport service to get more details on the host country and related restrictions. If you intend shipping the vehicle on your own and alternate ports will be used, it is best to get the approvals from the military traffic management command (MTMC).
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Vehicle Shipping Documentation.
As with any import or export of vehicle overseas, there are plenty of documentations that are needed. When shipping cars overseas with the military, these are needed:
- Proof of POV shipping entitlement.
- Valid government/military ID.
- Submit the completed IAL Shipping Instruction Form
- Submit the vehicle registration and title deed. Vehicle must be in the name of the military service member.
- If there is a lien on the vehicle, lien holder authorization letter is needed.
It is essential that you provide a destination address, emergency contact details, and valid email address before the vehicle is shipped out.
Before shipping the vehicle.
Though it isn’t cumbersome shipping cars overseas for a military, there are some key aspects that cannot be missed. Your vehicle must be operations with a fully functional parking brake. The windshield must not have any major cracks and there should be no oil/fuel leaks. This requires cleaning the vehicle before it is shipped. You need to remove all personal belongings, non-permanent accessories, apart from removing fire hazards like air conditioning gas, air fresheners, fuel and pressurized cans. The interiors need to be vacuum cleaned at least a week before it is shipped out. However, you are allowed to keep these items within the vehicle:
- Hand-tools below the value of $200.
- Car jacks, jumper cables, and spare tire.
- Baby car seats.
- Set of keys to be submitted- ignition/gas cap, wheel lock and door keys.
Before the vehicle is shipped out of USA, it will be inspected and documentation of the dents, damages and blemished will be completed. As the owner, you are required to sign the Form DD788 for inspection record. Only one POV can be shipped at government expense and it needs to be less than 20MT.
Key Considerations for OCONUS POV Shipments.
When you are shipping cars overseas for military or Outside Continental United States (OCONUS), your vehicle needs to conform to the stringent guidelines as per the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and Department of Transportation (DOT).
The Vehicle Emissions Control sticker needs to be inside the hood of the vehicle or you will need to get a Letter of Compliance from the EPA, after submitting the title and registration documents. Another essential requirement is the DOT sticker which has the vehicle identification number (VIN).
You can get further details contacting A1 Auto Transport services as we have shipped innumerable vehicles shipped for the active duty military and veterans.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory