Ship Your Car To Or From Vec-Liepaja, Latvia
This is the largest and the oldest district in Liepaja in Latvia. In recent years, there has been progress and a lot of trade and commerce, which has led to an increase in the employment opportunities, apart from coming here to study.
Learn more about shipping to Latvia.
If you are planning to move your vehicle to Vec-Liepaja from U.S and intend working or staying for a longer durations, you might want to consider shipping over your car from USA. Although shipping your car to might sound like a challenging decision to make, it might be beneficial. When you do so to Latvia, you need to know a bit about the country and quite a lot when it comes to the regulations and the paperwork requirements. Latvia is a popular destination to live in because there is a lot of business coming from the USA. Shipping a vehicle there is definitely beneficial if you are to stay in the country for a longer period of time – this is definitely something that you want to take into account. The roads are paved and easy to drive on.
Before you export your vehicle to the country, you will need to know where is the closest ports where you live in the US. Shipping your car there is going to cost you between $2,900 and $6,000 – higher costs are associated with larger vehicles and shipments which take off from the western coast of the US. When you work with A-1 Auto Transport service, we can help you out with this. Containerized shipping is also more cost-effective. You will also need to see which ports can get your car shipped to Latvia particularly. Contacting the Embassy of Latvia in Washington, D.C. is a good idea.
There are import taxes that are applicable when you import a vehicle. You need to pay 21% VAT on imported vehicles apart from other duties. There are certain regulations in Latvia which are mandatory for you to follow. Let’s have a look.
- Vehicles are only allowed on a one-year import status or shorter than that.
- Vehicles which are older than 7 years will be charged with 18% VAT.
- Vehicles which are under 7 years will be charged with 10% tax and 10% VAT.
- All vehicles have to be registered in the name of the shipper
- Customs is going to charge you a tax depending on the current market value.
Both the U.S. Customs and Latvian Customs require validating your car and deeming it legal before it can be shipped out from the USA or received at the port in Latvia. Some of the documents that are needed include:
- Bill of sale
- Import license
- Driver’s License
- International driving permit
- Valid registration
- Copy of your passport
- Insurance proof
- Pro-forma invoice
- Letter of employment
Available Shipping Methods
Now, it’s also important to understand that the overall cost of your shipping will be based off the type of shipping that you choose.
- Ro-Ro Shipping – this is the simplest way that you can go for. However, you won’t be able to ship any other personal belongings and your car will be open to the elements throughout the entire time. This is why this is the least expensive shipping method.
- Container Shipping – this is the most cost-effective option, especially if you have additional belongings to ship. When it comes to it, you will have a 20ft or 40ft private container at your disposal. Of course, it’s a bit more expensive but it’s worth it.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.