Ship Your Car To Or From Thika, Kenya
Thika is located in Kiambu County in Kenya. It is on A2 which is twenty-six miles north east of Nairobi. It is also new Thika and Chania Rovers. This town is considered the headquarters of Thika West District.
If you want to ship a vehicle over to Thika, but not sure about how to do it or how much it will cost, you will feel better knowing that the amount will run between $4,000 and could be up to $7,200; this amount could be adjusted based on certain factors.
Working with Professional Shippers
Hiring A-1 Auto Transport Service to assist you in transporting your vehicle from the United States to Kenya is going to make the transition less stressful and easier to understand. You will be assigned a shipping agent who will work with you to make it easier to understand. When driving in Kenya, you will find that some roads are paved while others are not. This may or may not make it easier for you to drive in your own vehicle.
Vehicle Import Regulations
The Kenya Revenue Authority works to stay up-to-date on all current duties and charges. The most common way to determine the amount to pay is to base it on the vehicles model however unfortunately the vehicles are not always registered. The Kenya Bureau of Standards A vehicle cannot be imported if it’s over 8-years old. The engine capacity is another way to determine the value of the vehicle. The bigger the capacity of the engine, the more duty you will need to pay. Excise duty is determined by the following:
- If the vehicle is more than three years, you will be charged Ksh 200,000.
- If the vehicle is less than 3 years, then you will be charged Ksh 150,000.
- The value added tax, or VAT is also considered when determining the amount you will pay. The tax is 16%.
- Your vehicle will need to be licensed before you can drive it in Kenya
- The Import Declaration Fee is charged at a rate of 25%
- Tax exemptions available for citizens returning to the country
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
If you have been traveling abroad and are returning back to Kenya after a year, you may not need to pay any duty, unless you are bringing back a bus/mini bus. The rules include:
- Your vehicle cannot be more than eight years old
- You must be at least eighteen years old
- You cannot have obtained permission to be exempt before
- You must have been living outside of Kenya for a period of two years at least
- You must be coming back to Kenya with your own vehicle for at least one year
- You will need to prepare your vehicle for shipment and your shipping agent can help you with that.
To prepare, you will need to the following documents:
- Proof of residency
- Proof of auto insurance
- Receipt for duties paid
- Owner’s Passport
- Title deed of the car
- Car Registration documents
Methods of Vehicle Shipment to Kenya
It’s important that you make sure that you are there at customs to pick up your vehicle when it has cleared. If you can’t be there, you can send power of attorney with your shipping agent. You can choose from two main shipping options.
Roll On/ Roll Off shipping which is not always accepted at all ports but it is the most affordable way to ship. It will require a little more prep work to get it ready for transport in order to avoid being quarantined. You will need to clean the vehicle inside and out and leave only the car jack, the spare tire, and the floor mats. Container shipping is another option which is more expensive but it does protect the vehicle while in transit.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory