The largest and fastest growing city in Trinidad, Chaguanas is located about 11 miles from Port of Spain. It is the administrative and commercial center of the country, with plenty of employment opportunities for locals and foreigners alike.
Though rules and regulations are in place, but it isn’t difficult to ship your vehicle from USA to Trinidad. Returning citizens require less number of documents and proof of ownership than expatriates. It is best to utilize the services of an experienced shipping company like A1 Auto transport so that they are able to guide you about the procedure.
However, you need to submit a host of documents and meet the eligibility criteria of the Trinidad Customs Law. Some of the documents that have to be submitted to the U.S Customs and the Customs and Excise Department of the Government of Trinidad include:
- Owner’s passport/driving license.
- Work Permit.
- Proof of Residence Abroad.
- Import License.
These are the basic documents that are needed when you intend shipping your vehicle from USA. Proof of ownership is important criteria so ensure that there are a couple of copies to submit. Additionally, you need to have owned the vehicle for at least six months before importing it. There should legal documents to substantiate your claim. There are different duties and taxes that have to be cleared including VAT, import duty and more.
The owner has to be present when the vehicle arrives but if you cannot be present, providing a signed power of attorney to A1 Auto Transport will ensure that they will represent you in Trinidad.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Specific terms on vehicle import.
After you import the vehicle to Chaguanas in Trinidad, it is essential that you are present at the time of delivery of vehicle. You are required to keep the vehicle i.e. you cannot sell the vehicle for at least 2 years after importing it. As a returning citizen, if you are importing a vehicle under tax exemptions policy, you need to show that you have stayed abroad for over 5 years. Only then you qualify for tax exemptions.
Particular documents to submit.
When you are shipping to Chaguanas, in Trinidad, there are a number of specific documents that have to be submitted to the U.S Customs and at Trinidad Customs. These are:
- Car title deed.
- Bill of vehicle sale.
- Insurance proof.
- Custom clearance certificate.
Additional requirements and regulations for importing a vehicle to Chaguanas include:
- The vehicle must be imported within 2 months of your stay in Trinidad.
- Vehicle has to pass stringent inspections by the port authorities before it si cleared for entry to Trinidad.
- It is imperative that the owner is present when the vehicle is cleared by the customs.
- You need to be aware that the import duties and taxes vary depending upon your citizenship status.
As it can take a lot of time to get the necessary permits and proofs, it is best to start planning the import while you are in USA and haven’t even moved to Trinidad. This will ensure that you get your vehicle soon after you move. Additionally, before you get the written quote, you will need to inform the shipping service about the method you choose from RORO and container shipping.
Roll on/Roll Off (RORO) shipping is cheaper than container shipping but the latter offers higher protection to the vehicle as it is packed within large containers along with your personal belongings. While in RORO the vehicle is devoid of any belongings and has to be shipped empty.
It is important to know the latest updates and regulations so you can plan accordingly. Not only will you be able to budget better but can save more if you begin the shipment process early. Contact the Embassy of Trinidad in USA to get a head start about the details of importing your vehicle to Chaguanas.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- What Makes Us Better?