Open transport vs. enclosed transport
Shipping of automobiles is a detailed process, with a lot of factors that need to be put into consideration. You have to look for a good long distance mover and also decide on the shipping option that would best suit your needs. The type of vehicle you are transporting will determine the transport method you will use. Many shipping companies, A1 Auto Transport included, offer clients with many auto transport shipping options, including open transport and enclosed transport.
Open transport vs enclosed transport
While making your move, you need to make a lot of decisions. Among the decisions you need to make is whether to ship via open transport or enclosed transport.
Some state-to-state movers may offer you with both shipping options, and you may select either depending on your needs.
The open transport method uses open-air trucks. There are no sides and there is no roof. Therefore, vehicles being transported are going to be exposed to the elements at all times. Most open auto transport trucks are between 75 and 80 feet long. They also have two levels with enough space to hold a row of cars on the top and also at the bottom (the bottom row being shorter).
Advantages of open transport
- It is more pocket friendly .
- It has a lighter body which makes it more fuel efficient.
- It offers better visibility, making it easier for the driver to inspect the vehicles while on transit.
Disadvantages of open transport
Less protection: The cars being transported will be exposed to road debris, weather elements and risks such as falling tree branches.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. can help you move your household goods nationwide. Call 888-509-3213 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote on interstate moving services.
Enclosed auto transport is done in trucks which have a fully enclosed trailer. Protection is provided by the safe and secure enclosure created by the roof and four sides.
Advantages of enclosed transport
- Security: These trailers offer security that’s required when transporting expensive vehicles.
- Protection: Enclosed trailers offer protection against theft and the elements of weather as well as harm from debris.
Disadvantages of enclosed transport
- Expensive: Due to the added security and protection offered by this method of transport, this option is more costly.
- Less fuel-efficient: This is a heavy body. It will consume more fuel.
- Less visibility: It will be harder for the driver to make routine inspections while in-transit.
Making the choice
When it comes to choosing between the two – open transport or enclosed transport, the main determinant will be the level of security that is required to ship your vehicle.
Enclosed transport is the best option for the highly valuable cars such as collector or antique cars. However, if you are shipping an old model of a car, an open transport truck will be good enough. You will have to research on the best rates that will apply to your move.
Requesting for quotes from the shipping companies is a good way to get the estimated cost of your move and to determine if the movers will provide you with a reasonably priced service.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?