Buying a new car comes with its worries. You need to protect the automobile so that it serves you for a long time to come. The first hurdle is how to ship your new car to your location. You want to transport the vehicle safely but at an affordable cost. To do this you need to understand how to get a reliable auto transporter and the new car shipping process. Knowing these two aspects will help you get the best transportation option for your vehicle. You will also know how to protect your vehicle through transit.
How to find a reliable auto transporter
When scouting for a shipping company, it is good to know what a reliable transporter looks like. Here are some tips:
- Licensed: The shipping industry is regulated by the Federal Motor Carrier Administration (FMCSA). Each registered company carries a six digit U.S Dot number. This figure should be visibly displayed on a company’s website and on their adverts.
- Professional: Your shipper should know how to handle both you and your car. You can pick a professional transporter from how they talk to you. When on call with them, judge how well they answer your questions. Picking a professional company will ensure that your car is delivered safely and in time.
- Insurance: Your new car needs to be insured against damages and accidents during transit. Pick a company that takes the liability in the case of eventualities. A reliable auto transporter should give you insurance documents which define the policy terms.
- Do not limit your choices: Search several companies and compare their services. This will give you a good feel of what to expect from each.
- Use past client’s experiences: Learning from other people’s experiences will help you avoid being scammed. Check online reviews such as from company’s website, Better Business Bureau, and Transport Reviews.
- Listen to your voice: After you have done your research, reflect on the options and choose the company which you feel offers you the most value.
New car shipping requires a transport service which is fit for the particular type of vehicle. You can choose from the four methods below.
- Door to door transport: Also known as the direct method, your shipper will pick the vehicle and deliver it to your preferred location. This could be your house or office. This method is mostly used in metropolitan towns where shippers have many clients. It is also used in areas where streets are wide enough to allow trailers to maneuver easily.
The door to door service is ideal if you do not want your car passing through several carriers. This will assure you of your car’s safety. The downside of this method is that you might pay more compared to the terminal to terminal service.
- Terminal to terminal transport: This method utilizes terminals for pickups and delivery of cars. If you live in a remote area or near a terminal, you may go with this method. Usually, it will cost you less when you deliver and pickup your car. However, clients concerned with the handling of more than one carrier might not opt for this option.
- Open air transport: Most new cars are transported using this method. Although the cars are exposed to the sun, the wind, the snow, the rain, road particles, and flying objects, it is fairly safe. If you are concerned about the road and weather elements, you may choose the top load.
At the top, you car is not in danger of being affected by car leaks from other vehicles. Therefore, you are sure that the car’s body is protected. However, the car might still be hit by flying objects or tree branches.
- Enclosed carriers: new car shipping companies also offer to protect your car during transit by covering it. The enclosed carriers are good for new cars, exotic cars, and high-end vehicles. Since there are high numbers of vehicles stolen in the United States every year, some high-value car owners choose the enclosed method. Usually, auto transport companies offer higher insurance policy limits for these cars which makes it ideal for you.
Some shipping companies include the hydraulic lift gates in the enclosed trucks to accommodate exotic cars. Since this is a premium service, it is reserved for few clients with classic cars.
New car shipping should be safe and secure. The above tips will help you make the best choice for your automobile. If you need further assistance, we are happy to help you here.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.