Luxembourg Vehicle Registration: Process & What To Know
It’s easy to pass through Luxembourg and not know it. With a population of just over 500,000, the country’s roads are well maintained.
If you’re thinking of moving there and bringing a special car with you to commute or for recreation, here’s a rundown of what you need to know to register a vehicle there. The process is straightforward and so long as you can navigate the paperwork, you’ll be good to go.
You do get a grace period of six months before you need to register a vehicle in Luxembourg. The process is a bit tricky, depending on where your car is coming from.
Vehicles registered in other European Union countries
As a member of the European Union, the process is a little more streamlined. Clearing customs is not a huge issue for vehicles here.
Here are some broad rules:
- Got a new car that you’re importing? Or one with 6,000 km or less on it? You’ll likely have to pay a 17 percent vehicle assessment tax. Vehicles that have been on the road for more than six months with more than 6,000 miles clocked in don’t have to pay that tax.
- If you’re a student from another country, you do not need to register a vehicle for the time of your studies. Being a student also exempts you from buying local insurance or paying the fees in the country. It’s good to be a student.
- If you work as a student, forget the student rules and go back to the original registration rules.
If you’d like more information about shipping a vehicle to Luxembourg, you can find it at our international page by clicking here. There’s plenty to know when you ship a car to another country and this resource covers all of it!
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Inspection, Insurance & Non-EU Vehicles In Luxembourg
Vehicles Registered Outside the European Union
This is where the process is made more complex. Vehicles coming from outside the union must clear customs, either with another E.U. country or with Luxembourg officials.
Duties on the vehicle can be up to 10 percent of the purchase value. You might also have to pay a 17 percent vehicle assessment tax on top of that.
But there are loopholes and exceptions for vehicles imported through relocation.
Vehicle Inspection & Insurance
You’ll have to get insurance for your vehicle as that’s mandatory here. You might also have to modify your car to adhere to specific environmental and road requirements of the union and the country.
The minimum age for a license is 18 years.
You can expect well-maintained roads with clear signs. Though it’s important to note most of the signs are in French. That includes much of the digital alert systems in the country. But with the modern roads come modern problems, with heavy traffic congestion in the mornings and evenings.
Be mindful of the terrain as there are some steep hills where priority is given to cars going up the hill.
Luxembourg Registration Resources
Registration & Roadworthiness Test – From the official portal of Luxembourg, information bout registering and road testing vehicles in the duchy.
European Union Portal – The official portal for the union that has a wealth of elaborate information about getting around. Here you’ll find information about living, working and traveling in the EU, as well as resources and documents.
Shipping a vehicle to Luxembourg? Call or email us today to learn how we can help! All price quotes are FREE for all interested parties and we’re happy to help with any questions you have!
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory