What To Expect of Your Shipping Company When Shipping A Vehicle Overseas
When you are shipping a vehicle overseas, it is important to take the time to choose a company that suits your needs in terms of price and shipping options. While many auto shipping companies are reputable and will not take advantage of unknowing consumers, there are those that will. This is why understanding consumer protections and rights are essential when shipping one of your most valuable possessions: your car.
Here are a few tips on what to expect of your chosen auto transport company:
- Get everything in writing: It is your right as a consumer to know what you are buying up front. When you get a quote from an auto transport company, get it in writing. Additionally, whatever the nuances of the contract may be, get that in writing as well. This ensures that you understand everything about the auto transport process before your car ever leaves your sight. It also provides you with a point of reference.
- Don’t render payment until you’ve signed on the dotted line: Until the moment that you sign a contract for auto transport, you have the right to change your mind. This means if you pay for transport services before you sign a shipping contract, you may be paying for services that you may opt never to use. To avoid this, instead make sure that you’ve ironed out all of the details before signing and whipping out your wallet. Once you’ve paid for your transport, it will be a challenge to change anything.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
- Know the nuances of your contract: Read every clause. It is your right as a consumer to negotiate or question any aspects of the contract with which you feel uncomfortable, as long as you do so before signing it. Take the time to read the various clauses and ask for clarification in any areas that you don’t understand. A good auto transport company will take the time to address your questions professionally to ensure that you are comfortable with the entire process.
- Inquire about events beyond your control: Some companies include this in their contract language and others do not, but ask anyone that has had to suddenly deal with a natural disaster and they will attest to the importance of this conversation. Inquire with the auto transport company about events beyond your control. For instance, if you are being charged by the day, what happens if a hurricane detours the barge on which your car is being transported and delays transport by a week or more? What happens if the shipping process is delayed by route and you are paying by the mile? These are questions to ask to protect yourself financially.
Knowing your rights as a consumer can create a much more seamless process when transporting your vehicle overseas. If you educate yourself in advance, then you know what questions to ask and can temper your expectations accordingly. Moreover, understanding the details of the process can help in choosing the best auto transport company to meet your specific needs.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?