What is the Cost Of Covered Car Transport?
If you are planning to ship your vehicle in an enclosed trailer or car transport method, you might be trying to set a budget. Speaking in general, the cost of covered car transport is going to range between $0.50 and $1 per a traveled mile.
Of course, this is based on the type of services that you opt for as well as the overall distance. Here are some of the specifications that you might want to account for:
- Type of the car – of course, if you ship a larger vehicle, it’s going to be more expensive. This has to do with the exact weight of the vehicle which is an important factor for the shipping. Motorcycles can easily cost closer to $0.50/mile and, for instance, shipping one from Fresno CA to Philadelphia could cost $300 for 470 and $450 if it was a car. An RV, however, is going to cost you more than that.
- Location and Distance – these are perhaps the most important things that you need to account for. If you hire an agency to move your car across the country or from one coast to another, you need to consider the mileage. For example, if you ship from Newcastle, WA to NYC you can get it done for over $2000 for 3000 miles. San Diego, CA to Jacksonville, FL, however, could be shipped for about $1600-$2000 as it is 2000 miles.
- The shipping routes – Of course, the primary routes are going to be cheaper – the ones between major areas in comparison to those which are in smaller cities and suburbs. If you want to ship your vehicle from New York to Miami FL, you can get it done for $700 even if it’s more than 1,000 miles. This is because the transport route is one of the main ones on the East Coast.
- The method of delivery – there are usually two methods which involve open and closed carriers. Open auto carrier is cheaper and leaves the vehicle open to the weather and debris. However, enclosed carrier is going to get your vehicle to be particularly secured but it’s also more expensive.
Benefits of Covered Shipping
- A completely hassle-free experience with a trusted shipping leader.
- Total protection from the weather conditions.
- The safety of the body of your vehicle, as well as its paint, is particularly ensured against debris, dust, and dirt.
- Added layer of theft protection.
- Safeguard the proper value of your vehicle throughout the entire process.
The season is also going to impact the cost of covered car transport. For instance, if you want to ship your car to southern states such as Texas, Arizona, and Florida, it could be more expensive throughout the snowbird season in the spring and in the winter. On the other hand, if you want to ship from Massachusetts to Florida, the price is going to go up because of the so-called “snowbirds” as well as the increased demand for transportation throughout this time frame. In the winter, you can ship your car from Chicago to Miami for about $800 while the way back is going to cost you about $500 in an open carrier.
The price of the fuel
The price of the fuel is constantly fluctuating and this affects the total cost of the service. The price of the transport from Boston to Las Vegas today can cost you $1200 and it could get to $1300 the week after that. This is why you need to remember that the gas prices are definitely a factor.
A reliable shipping company is going to provide you with the aforementioned details in advance. It is very important that you research and ask the right questions prior to scheduling your transport. If you move across the country you might want to ask a household mover for a reliable shipping agency.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.
Email me - email@example.com