- Types Of Classic Car Transport
- Domestic Classic Car Transport
- International Classic Car Transport
- Roro Shipping
- Container Shipping
- Air Freight
- How To Prepare Your Classic Car For Shipment
- Costs Of Shipping A Classic Car
- Factors Affecting Classic Car Shipping Costs
- A-1 Auto Transport A Safe Way To Ship Your Classic Car
Classic cars are beloved by many for their unique style, craftsmanship, and nostalgia. The vehicle's owner will tell you that it is more than just a car; it is an investment and a passion.
They often evoke memories of a simpler time, when life was less complicated, and the world seemed to move at a slower pace.
It is no surprise that the shipping process takes a more specialized approach than a regular car. These classic cars are usually transported for a car show, an auction, maintenance, or just to get from one place to another.
If you need to transport a classic car, you can trust that we will take every precaution to ensure that it arrives safely. We hope this guide will help you move your historic car without any hassle.
Types of Classic Car Transport
Shipping companies usually provide two main types of transport: open and enclosed carriers.
Open carriers are the most common type of classic car transport, offering a cost-effective solution for transporting your vehicle. However, open carriers do not provide much protection from the elements, such as rain, snow, dirt, and debris.
Enclosed carriers provide more protection for your classic car during transport. They are typically more expensive than open carriers but offer excellent protection from the elements and other potential hazards that can damage your vehicle during transit.
Enclosed carriers also provide additional security for your vehicle since a trailer or container during transit will completely surround it.
Domestic classic car transport
Enclosed auto transport is the ideal shipping option for classic car owners who want to ensure their vehicle stays safe and secure during transit.
This kind of transportation offers the most protection from damage caused by bad weather or road conditions. The shipping company brings your car into a trailer with hard or soft walls to keep it as safe as possible from the weather and any road debris.
The enclosed carrier shipping option also offers greater privacy than open carriers, which can be beneficial if you are transporting a rare or valuable classic car.
The added security and privacy offered by enclosed auto transport make it a more expensive option than open carriers. Still, it is worth it for those who want to guarantee their vehicle's safety during transit.
With this kind of shipping, you can be sure your classic car will get where it needs to go without any damage.
International classic car transport
Meanwhile, there are a few options for international classic car transport.
RORO shipping is the most cost-effective way to transport a classic car internationally. This method involves loading the vehicle onto a ship and exposing it to the elements during transit. While this is the cheapest option, there is an increased risk of damage due to exposure to salt water, wind, and other environmental factors.
Container shipping is a more secure way of transporting a classic car overseas. The car is enclosed in a steel container that protects it from potential damage during transit. This method also allows for additional items, such as spare parts or tools, to be shipped with the car, making it more convenient for those who need them at their destination.
However, this method can be more expensive than RORO shipping due to the cost of the container and the additional fees associated with its use.
Finally, air freight is the safest and quickest way to ship a classic car internationally, but it comes with a hefty price tag.
Air freight ensures that your vehicle arrives quickly and safely without any risk of damage due to environmental factors.
However, this method usually only applies to extremely valuable or rare classic cars due to its high cost.
How to Prepare Your Classic Car for Shipment
No matter which shipping option you choose, it's essential to ensure that you have properly prepared your classic car for transport. This preparation includes:
- Making sure the vehicle is in good working condition, and all fluids are topped off
- Disconnecting the battery and removing any loose items from the car
- Cleaning the outside of the car so that dirt and debris don't build up while it's in transit
- Taking photos of the car before loading it onto the carrier for documentation purposes
- Ensuring that all paperwork is in order, including title, registration, and insurance
By doing these things, you can be sure your classic car will get where it needs to go without any damage.
Costs of Shipping a Classic Car
Classic car shipping costs can vary depending on a number of factors. These include the size and weight of the vehicle, the distance of transport, and the type of transport chosen. For example:
|Shipping To/From||Cost||Distance||Estimated Time in Transit|
|New York, NY, to Boston, MA||$540||216 mi||2-4 days|
|Dallas, TX to Memphis, TN||$960||463 mi||2-4 days|
|Denver, CO to Dallas, TX||$1280||805 mi||3-5 days|
|Los Angeles, CA, to Denver, CO||$1150||1017 mi||4-6 days|
|Denver, CO, to Columbus, OH||$1530||1271 mi||4-6 days|
|Phoenix, AZ, to Memphis, TN||$1490||1430 mi||4-6 days|
|Detroit, MI to Las Vegas, NV||$1239||1999 mi||5-7 days|
|New York, NY, to Phoenix, AZ||$1670||2421 mi||7-9 days|
|Seattle, WA, to Memphis, TN||$2000||2303 mi||6-8 days|
|Miami, FL, to Seattle, WA||$2030||3320 mi||7-9 days|
* Prices and times are approximations. They can vary depending on the season and what type of classic car you are shipping.
Factors Affecting Classic Car Shipping Costs
Here are some other factors that can affect classic car shipping costs:
- The pickup and delivery locations: longer distances will cost more than shorter ones
- The time of year: prices tend to be higher during peak seasons, such as summer or winter holidays
- The type of carrier: enclosed carriers are more expensive than open carriers due to their added security and privacy features
- Insurance coverage: you may require additional insurance coverage for certain types of vehicles or shipments
- Special services: these services, like fast shipping or door-to-door delivery, will add to your total cost
By understanding these factors, you can better estimate how much it will cost to ship your classic car.
A-1 Auto Transport: A Safe Way to Ship Your Classic Car
Our services are available for anyone needing classic car transport, be it for an auto show, a private collector of vintage or exotic automobiles, or a museum.
With the expertise and professionalism that antique car enthusiasts need, our extensive carrier network of delivery routes covers all 50 states.
Here's why our clients consider us a trustworthy auto transport company:
- Transport for older model vehicles that are completely enclosed
- A trusted transport company with 25 years of experience as an auto transporter
- Shift-resistant transport carriers
- Air-cushioned suspension
- Exotic car transport
- Excellent service that customers love and the most reliable carriers in the industry
- Insurance coverage is included in every quote (fully insured auto transport is available).
- Classic car shipping to all 50 states
- Door-to-door car shipping service
- Free quotes, competitive prices, and discounts for first-time shippers
- The best classic car rates in the business and the lowest average cost
Ready to transport your beloved car with A-1 Auto Transport? Call us at 1-888-230-9493 now to learn more about our trusted car shipping services and our amazing discounts.
You can also estimate the price of shipping your car across the country using our free online quote calculator.