How to Clear Canadian Customs?
Whether you are visiting Canada for the weekend, or you’re moving to Canada for good, it’s important to understand the process of clearing Canadian customs. There are a list of rules and restrictions that you’re expected to follow when crossing over the border, and it’s up to you to remain aware of all these things before you cross over the border. Below is an overview of the process you’ll be expected to follow when crossing the border. Learn it well and you’ll have no problem getting into Canada.
There are many items that you must declare when crossing over into the Canadian border. It’s important to be aware of these items when making the transition so you don’t unknowingly avoid declaring something important.
- Gifts – You must declare any gifts that you are going to give to friends within Canada.
- For Sale items – Anything you will sell or get rid of within Canada must be declared when going through customs.
- Medicine – All medications must be declared when crossing the border into Canada, make a list before you leave.
- Cash – You must declare any cash that you bring into Canada over $10,000. There is no limit though.
- Business items – Anything you’re going to use for business purposes in Canada must be declared as well.
Items You Can’t Bring
There are plenty of items that you simply cannot bring into Canada. It’s important to know what these things are so you can avoid being held up in Customs when moving across the border.
- Any fresh fruit at all
- Weapons – Just about any weapon, including tasers, knives, pepper spray, brass knuckles and more traditional items. It’s possible to bring certain weapons like firearms with the proper permits and licenses.
- Lude or obscene material – You cannot bring child pornography or hate propaganda into Canada. The customs agents can inspect your computer and other electronic devices for these things.
- Dirty camping gear- your gear must be free of pests and soil when transporting it.
- Live bait – You’ll need a special permit to bring certain types of live bait over the border.
What You Can Bring for Free
In general, you can bring objects that you intend to personally use while in Canada for free without paying any duty taxes on them. This rule applies to visitors that won’t be staying forever. If you’ll be staying in Canada for good some belongings such as your vehicle will be subject to duty taxes, while things like clothing can be brought in without issue.
A Vehicle Inspection
If you say that you don’t have any items to declare to the customs agent, and the agent does not believe you, it’s likely that you will be pulled aside for an inspection. During this process, the inspector will look over your vehicle for any items that must be declared during the border crossing. Any declared items will result in a duty tax that can make your trip more expensive overall.
If you do all the following things you shouldn’t have any trouble getting into Canada. You may or may not have to pay duty taxes and fees when making the transition across the border, but for most things they’re affordable, so make sure you declare your objects and avoid any slowdowns from things like an inspection.
A-1 Auto Transport can help with all your vehicle shipping needs when you need to move a car to Canada. Fill out the easy, no obligation quote form for a fast quote today.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.