What is the Average Car Shipping Rates?
There are many things considered when a car’s shipping services total is determined. To calculate what it will cost to ship a car, there are certain details and information that the transporter must be knowledgeable of before they can give you an honest quote. Many transport companies will offer an online calculator for an instant quote. Although this isn’t the most accurate, it is a great way to get an idea of what you’ll be charged through the company for their shipping services. Otherwise, you can call up transporters that appeal to you and receive a more honest quote within just a few minutes.
To ship a car from one coast to the other, you can assume it will cost nearly $1,500. When you consider the amount of time the company is saving you, as well as all other costs that you’d have to pay while on the road with your vehicle, $1,500 is a great price to pay for shipping a car.
The Factors that Affect the Cost of Car Shipping Services
- Distance and Location- The more miles between the pickup and drop off location, the more expensive your shipping services will likely be.
- The Type of Vehicle- Smaller vehicles cost less to ship than larger vehicles.
- The Car’s Condition- Non-operating vehicles will cost more to ship than operable vehicles. Non-operating vehicles are harder to move and require more care and shipping equipment to successfully deliver.
- Modifications- Modifications done to the vehicle may change its original weight and size.
- Type of Transport and Services Preferred- Some methods of transport are more expensive than others. There are also optional services such as high priority services which help get the car delivered quicker or within a tighter timeframe.
- The Time of Year for the Transport- The season plays a role on the cost of car shipping. In the winter months, you might find that car shipping services are more expensive due to the troubles of snow and other outside elements during the season.
- Current Price of Fuel- The cost of fuel is always changing. The cost of fuel at the time of your transport will also be calculated into your final shipping costs.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.