Shipping Your Car to Madagascar from the United States
Shipping A Car To Madagascar
Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
- Shipping a car to Madagascar from the United States isn’t cheap, with most transport costs falling between $3,000 and $6,100.
- There are not a ton of direct shipment routes to the area from the U.S., which is partly why the cost is slightly higher than some more common shipping destinations.
Cost & Time Examples For Shipping a Car to Madagascar
|San Jose, CA to (California port) to Madagascar||$200||$4200||45+5|
|Las Vegas, NV to (California port) to Madagascar||$450||$4200||45+5|
|Portland, OR to (California port) to Madagascar||$475||$4200||45+6|
|Seattle, WA to (California port) to Madagascar||$550||$4200||45+6|
|Charlotte, NC to (New York port) to Madagascar||$575||$3200||36+6|
|Chicago, IL to (New York port) to Madagascar||$675||$3200||36+6|
|Atlanta, GA to (New York port) to Madagascar||$700||$3200||36+6|
|Denver, CO to (California port) to Madagascar||$775||$4200||45+7|
|Memphis, TN to (New York port) to Madagascar||$800||$3200||36+6|
|Houston, TX to (New York port) to Madagascar||$1,075||$3200||36+6|
*Prices and times are estimated. They can vary depending on the season and the type of vehicle.
*Save the ground transport cost by delivering the vehicle to the nearest port.
*Allow an additional 10 days to process the documents.
*Prices are for 1 car in a dedicated 20ft container. This is the safest and most reliable way to transport a vehicle internationally. Other items may be included in the container to help save you money when moving.
*Using the RoRo (roll on, roll off) method is less expensive and shipments can be completed in fewer days. Contact us now for a free RoRo quote.
In order to ensure that your vehicle arrives in Madagascar without any complications, it's important to adhere to each of the international shipping requirements at both the port of origin in the United States and the port of destination in Madagascar.
Due to the complexity of the process, it's highly recommended that you choose a company that specializes in international shipping in order to prevent delays, avoid any unforeseen fees, and to make sure that every legal requirements and documentations are fully completed. As a company that has been shipping vehicles through the world for over 20 years, A-1 Auto has the demonstrated expertise and impeccable reputation that will make this process as seamless as possible.
Located in the Western Indian Ocean, Madagascar is an island nation that has a population of approximately 22 million. Though known for its stunning beauty and diverse wildlife, it's a nation in which close to 80 percent of its population is considered to be living in poverty.
Despite receiving generous economic support from such prominent organizations as the IMF and the World Bank in 2006, it soon faced political upheaval in March of 2009, in which a coup that the army helped back lead to a transitional government being established that still is in power today.
Not recognized officially by the international community, this has led to a major decline in both its annual growth rate and economic conditions. In fact, one of the main criticisms of the current de facto regime is that it has not done enough to live up to the eligibility requirements that are listed as part of the African Growth and Opportunity Act (AGOA) in terms of its ability to maintain order and a sense of law enforcement.
Given its tumultuous political, economic, and legal environment, importing to Madagascar requires a distributor that has localized and in-depth experience in dealing with their customs agents. A-1 Auto has local agents in Madagascar that have been able to utilize their relationships with local authorities and agents to help make sure that there aren't any unforeseen circumstances and minimal delays. Furthermore, as a dual-language speaking nation, all locally employed agents are equally fluent in both Malagasy and French.
Required Documents For Shipping A Vehicle To Madagascar
- A Valid Driver's License
- International Car Insurance
- The Original Purchase or Commercial Invoice
- Employment certificate
- Bill of lading
You must also prepare your vehicle to be shipped, which means:
- Emptying the car of all gasoline and other flammable liquids
- Removing the car battery
- Taking out all personal items that may be contained in the vehicle, including in the trunk
Furthermore, you should also be aware of certain regulations, as not following them can result in higher than necessary expenses, which are:
- All automobiles can be taxed and made to pay duties based upon the particular vehicle's make, model, cost, year, and upgrade.
- The automobile will be charged 118 % of its CIF value (Cost, Insurance, Freight) if it has been registered for less than a year.
- If registered under the name of the person importing the vehicle for at least one year, then there are no required duties.
A-1 Auto Transport ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
The two main ways to export your car to Madagascar are:
- Roll-On and Roll-Off Service: For this method of shipping, the automobile will be placed directly on the freight ship in which it is usually surrounded by other vehicles and protected by barriers around the deck. This is the cheapest method available, though it's also quite effective.
- Container Service: When choosing this method, the automobile is still placed on a freight ship, with the difference being that it is put inside of a special container. It is a much more secure method, especially for luxury vehicles.
Popular Shipping Destinations:
Main Port of Arrivals
The two main ports in Madagascar can be found at Toamasina and Mahajanga. Other ports are located at Antananarivo, Morondava, and Toliaraa.
All have directly linked rail service to various parts of the country, but it's important to understand that many of the roads in Madagascar aren't paved or developed. During the wet season, this can cause great difficulties in transportation. However, there are many paved roads that connect much of the major areas and cities together, which can be accessed from the ports.
Due to the cumbersome process of ground transportation once the vehicle has arrived, researching the location of the final destination of the vehicle within Madagascar is important, as a port that is closest to that destination can be chosen. This will speed up the process and potentially save plenty of expenses along the way.
Contact A-1 Auto today and start the process! You'll be surprised at how we can make the complex seem completely simple.
Shipping Of Heavy Equipment & Oversized Cargo To Madagascar
Hiring professional international transporters to ship your heavy equipment or oversized cargo from the U.S. to Madagascar is the quickest and most efficient way to have your goods delivered. With all that is needed to carry out a successful transport and all the foreign import policies that you must abide by, it’s best to let experienced transport specialists handle the task. Fortunately, it doesn’t cost much to purchase overseas shipping services and it always proves to be worth it.
Here at A1 Auto Transport, we can transport nearly any type of heavy equipment or oversized cargo because of our access to the best and most modern shipping equipment and technology. The types of cargo we can and have shipped to other countries in the past include farming, mining, agricultural, construction, paving, industrial, and hydraulic equipment. No matter what you have to ship off to Madagascar, we can guarantee a safe delivery.
A1’s Overseas Transport Services
The international transport services offered to you will depend on the type of cargo you’re shipping. However, we have four great shipping solutions in total. Our shipping services include the following…
- Lift On/Lift Off (LoLo) Shipping- This method of open air transport is recommended to those with inoperable vehicles or crated equipment. A crane is used to lift the cargo onto and off of the ship carefully.
- Roll On/Roll Off (RoRo) Shipping- This open air service is the least expensive shipping method available through A1 and is only offered to those with operable equipment and vehicles that can use a ramp to drive onto and off of the boat. RoRo transports are not accepted by all seaports so ground transport methods may also be necessary to fulfill the delivery.
- Container Transport- This more protective form of overseas transport is also the most expensive. Your cargo is protected from poor weather conditions by the walls and ceiling of the container.
- Flat Rack Shipping- Your cargo is secured to a metal frame or flat rack then placed atop the ship. In case of inclement weather, your cargo my get shrink wrapped for further security.
Related Information & FAQs
- What must You do before shipping your car to Madagascar?
- Get the car ready for its shipping process to Madagascar
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.
Email me - email@example.com