Shipping Your Car to Madagascar from the United States
Shipping A Car To Madagascar
Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
- Shipping a car to Madagascar from the United States isn’t cheap, with most transport costs falling between $3,000 and $6,100.
- There are not a ton of direct shipment routes to the area from the U.S., which is partly why the cost is slightly higher than some more common shipping destinations.
In order to ensure that your vehicle arrives in Madagascar without any complications, it’s important to adhere to each of the international shipping requirements at both the port of origin in the United States and the port of destination in Madagascar.
Due to the complexity of the process, it’s highly recommended that you choose a company that specializes in international shipping in order to prevent delays, avoid any unforeseen fees, and to make sure that every legal requirements and documentations are fully completed. As a company that has been shipping vehicles through the world for over 20 years, A-1 Auto has the demonstrated expertise and impeccable reputation that will make this process as seamless as possible.
Located in the Western Indian Ocean, Madagascar is an island nation that has a population of approximately 22 million. Though known for its stunning beauty and diverse wildlife, it’s a nation in which close to 80 percent of its population is considered to be living in poverty.
Despite receiving generous economic support from such prominent organizations as the IMF and the World Bank in 2006, it soon faced political upheaval in March of 2009, in which a coup that the army helped back lead to a transitional government being established that still is in power today.
Not recognized officially by the international community, this has led to a major decline in both its annual growth rate and economic conditions. In fact, one of the main criticisms of the current de facto regime is that it has not done enough to live up to the eligibility requirements that are listed as part of the African Growth and Opportunity Act (AGOA) in terms of its ability to maintain order and a sense of law enforcement.
Given its tumultuous political, economic, and legal environment, importing to Madagascar requires a distributor that has localized and in-depth experience in dealing with their customs agents. A-1 Auto has local agents in Madagascar that have been able to utilize their relationships with local authorities and agents to help make sure that there aren’t any unforeseen circumstances and minimal delays. Furthermore, as a dual-language speaking nation, all locally employed agents are equally fluent in both Malagasy and French.
Required Documents For Shipping A Vehicle To Madagascar
- A Valid Driver’s License
- International Car Insurance
- The Original Purchase or Commercial Invoice
- Employment certificate
- Bill of lading
You must also prepare your vehicle to be shipped, which means:
- Emptying the car of all gasoline and other flammable liquids
- Removing the car battery
- Taking out all personal items that may be contained in the vehicle, including in the trunk
Furthermore, you should also be aware of certain regulations, as not following them can result in higher than necessary expenses, which are:
- All automobiles can be taxed and made to pay duties based upon the particular vehicle’s make, model, cost, year, and upgrade.
- The automobile will be charged 118 % of its CIF value (Cost, Insurance, Freight) if it has been registered for less than a year.
- If registered under the name of the person importing the vehicle for at least one year, then there are no required duties.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
The two main ways to export your car to Madagascar are:
- Roll-On and Roll-Off Service
For this method of shipping, the automobile will be placed directly on the freight ship in which it is usually surrounded by other vehicles and protected by barriers around the deck. This is the cheapest method available, though it’s also quite effective.
- Container Service
When choosing this method, the automobile is still placed on a freight ship, with the difference being that it is put inside of a special container. It is a much more secure method, especially for luxury vehicles.
Popular Shipping Destinations:
Main Port of Arrivals
The two main ports in Madagascar can be found at Toamasina and Mahajanga. Other ports are located at Antananarivo, Morondava, and Toliaraa.
All have directly linked rail service to various parts of the country, but it’s important to understand that many of the roads in Madagascar aren’t paved or developed. During the wet season, this can cause great difficulties in transportation. However, there are many paved roads that connect much of the major areas and cities together, which can be accessed from the ports.
Due to the cumbersome process of ground transportation once the vehicle has arrived, researching the location of the final destination of the vehicle within Madagascar is important, as a port that is closest to that destination can be chosen. This will speed up the process and potentially save plenty of expenses along the way.
Contact A-1 Auto today and start the process! You’ll be surprised at how we can make the complex seem completely simple.
Related Information & FAQs
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- What Makes Us Better?