Ship Your Car To Or From Japan.
Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
- Transport costs to Japan from the U.S. cost $2,300 to $5,400 for the majority of vehicles.
- Japan does have limitations as to what vehicles may be imported into the country, so be sure to make sure your car is eligible.
Exporting your vehicle internationally can be a complex and involved process, so it is in your best interest to do adequate research and hire a reputable auto transport company to assist you. When importing your vehicle into Japan, there are two options depending on how long you and your vehicle intend to remain in the country. If your stay will be less than 1 year, then following the procedure for temporary import is your best bet, but any longer, and the more involved process of importing permanently is required.
Before shipping your vehicle in on a temporary basis, you need to complete a Carnet de Passage en Douane (CPD) which is a customs document identifying the owner of the vehicle. You will need to fax the completed CPD to the Japan Automobile Federation (JAF), along with a list of the people allowed to drive the vehicle while it is in Japan. Detailed information on completing this process can be found on the JAF website.
Once the CPD has been authenticated by the JAF, it will be returned to you and you will be able to ship your vehicle into Japan without being required to pay customs duties and taxes. It is REQUIRED that you keep the CPD in the vehicle at all times.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Required Documents For Shipping A Vehicle To Japan.
If you intend to keep your vehicle in Japan for any longer than one year, you must import it permanently. This is a more involved process and requires slightly more paperwork than the aforementioned temporary procedure.
- Import Declaration Form.
- Commercial Invoice.
- Freight Account of Cargo.
- Statement of Premium Due.
- Bill of Lading.
- Proof of ownership.
- Bill of lading.
- Insurance certificate.
- Customs declaration form.
While passing through customs, an automobile acquisition tax is assessed, in addition to any customs duties.
After clearing customs, the vehicle is then delivered to the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism (MLIT) for a preliminary inspection and emissions testing.
Finally, the vehicle is ready for registration at a Land Transport Bureau Office. At this point, vehicle taxes are due and the car registration form is granted. Read more about Japan vehicle registration process here.
Because rules and regulations regarding the importation of vehicles are constantly changing, it is essential to consult the Japan Customs website prior to making the decision to ship your car. It is also extremely helpful to enlist the help of a trustworthy auto shipping company to aid you through the process.
Related Information & FAQs
- Can I afford to ship a car to Japan?
- Can I ship a military car to Japan?
- What is the best shipping method to transport a car to Japan from the US?
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory