Shipping a car to Japan through an international transport service is the most reliable and affordable way to relocate the vehicle such a far off distance. It is impossible to give an exact cost of shipping to Japan from the U.S.
However, if you provide a few details to the transport companies of interest, they can provide you with a quote. This quote will not include all of the costs. There will be import taxes you must pay too.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
About Japan’s Import Taxes on Motor Vehicles.
Since 1978, there have been no import duties on motor vehicle in Japan. There are additional taxes that will need to be paid though. Luckily, these aren’t very high and can be paid off easily. Most other countries charge 100-200% of the car’s value.
Part of the additional taxes include:
- 8% consumption tax.
- Vehicles over 13 years old pay an extra 10% tax otherwise this tax is dependent on engine size.
- 3% of the purchase price for acquisition tax.
- Tonnage tax- eco-friendly vehicles benefit from a tax cut here.
Call the Embassy of Japan to learn more of the regulations of the auto import policy and the taxes that must be paid to gain Customs approval.
Professional Transport Costs.
The price of shipping a car to Japan through professionals isn’t all that expensive. Depending on the method of transport you choose for your vehicle, a transport can cost anywhere from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand dollars. Container shipping methods are the most expensive but provide extra protection and space.
The cost of shipping your car will be determined by the distance that must be traveled, the services purchased, the type of vehicle, and the weight of the vehicle. Other fees may be tacked on to your final bill. Ask the customer service representative for the transporter to break it down if you wish to know what you are paying for.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?