- Car Shipping Sweden
- Ship Your Car To Or From Sweden
- Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
- Cost & Time Examples For Shipping A Car To Sweden
- Import Recommendations
- Required Documents For Shipping A Vehicle To Sweden
- Shipping Methods
- Main Ports Of Arrival
- Shipping Of Heavy Equipment & Oversized Cargo To Sweden
- Overseas Shipping Services Offered By A1
- Other Services
- Related Information
Car Shipping Sweden
Ship Your Car To Or From Sweden
Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
- Vehicle shipping costs to Sweden from the U.S. start at $2,100 and go up to $5,000.
- Normal sized cars, smaller trucks, and motorcycles are cheaper to ship than larger, heavier vehicles.
Cost & Time Examples For Shipping a Car to Sweden
|San Jose, CA to (California port) to Gavle||$200||$3,800||5+39|
|Los Angeles to (California port) to Gavle||$350||$3,800||5+39|
|Boston, MA to (New York port) to Gothenburg||$400||$2,300||5+21|
|Las Vegas, NV to (California port) to Gavle||$450||$3,800||5+39|
|Seattle, WA to (California port) to Gothenburg||$550||$3,500||6+39|
|Detroit, MI to (New York port) to Gavle||$575||$2,700||6+21|
|Chicago, IL to (New York port) to Stockholm||$675||$2,500||6+21|
|Denver, CO to (California port) to Gothenburg||$775||$3,500||7+39|
|Memphis, TN to (New York port) to Stockholm||$800||$2,500||6+21|
|Houston, TX to (New York port) to Stockholm||$1,075||$2,500||7+21|
*Prices and times are estimated. They can vary depending on the season and the type of vehicle.
*Save the ground transport cost by delivering the vehicle to the nearest port.
*Allow an additional 10 days to process the documents.
*Prices are for 1 car in a dedicated 20ft container. This is the safest and most reliable way to transport a vehicle internationally. Other items may be included in the container to help save you money when moving.
*Using the RoRo (roll on, roll off) method is less expensive and shipments can be completed in fewer days. Contact us now for a free RoRo quote.
Shipping your car to Sweden may seem like a simple process due to Sweden's stable and secure economic environment, but there a few things that one has to be aware of when doing so. Due to the high costs that can be associated with its duty fees, taxes, as well as the destination costs, it's imperative that you avoid or limit as many of these fees as possible through making sure that you meet all of the qualifications, adhere to the regulations, and utilize the various legalities that exist.
A-1 Auto, with its years of experience in successfully shipping automobiles to Sweden, can handle the whole process at each and every step. You'll not only receive your car reliably at your port of arrival, but you'll also have a peace of mind in knowing that you will not be paying more than is necessary for your own particular situation.
Located in Northern Europe in what is known as the Scandinavian region, Sweden is the third biggest European Union country, with a population of 9.6 million. Interestingly, Sweden has a predominantly urban population, which comprises 85% of its total population. Bordering both Norway and Finland, Sweden has some remarkable and rich wildlife and forests, leading to it often being under appreciated for its scenery.
As one of the most highly-developed post-industrial nations in the world, it's a country that is well-known for its security and stability. Their strong economy and low unemployment is also enhanced by their high standard of living and life expectancy, which is some of the highest in the world. Much of that is due to their advanced welfare system.
Get a Free, No Obligation to Buy, Auto Shipping Quote.Get my free quote now
or call us to do it for you:
Considering its highly stable and secure environment, as well as having the distinction of having the highest proficiency in English as a second language in the world, many of the difficulties and unforeseen circumstances that entail shipping your automobile to other countries don't apply to Sweden.
However, due to its wealthy population and advanced economy, shipping costs can be quite high, especially if one doesn't have detailed knowledge of all of the legal loopholes and requirements that could lower the price. A-1 Autohas local agents in Sweden that will ensure that you qualify for as many discounts on tax, duty, and import fees as possible. As mentioned, since Swedes are fluent in English, our agents will make sure that there's no breakdown in communications during the process.
Required Documents For Shipping A Vehicle To Sweden
- Valid Driver's License
- Recent Passport Photo
- Purchase Invoice / Bill of Sale (Price, Date, and Location of Original Purchase)
- Certificate of Registration
- Original Title of Automobile
- Proof of Insurance in the United States and Temporary Insurance in Sweden
- Bill of lading
- Customs form (different from household goods form)
*It's important to note that the owner of the vehicle MUST BE PRESENT IN SWEDEN AT THE PORT OF ARRIVAL. Otherwise, it will not be possible to gain customs clearance.
Furthermore, you should also be aware of certain regulations, as not following them can result in higher than necessary expenses, which are:
- You have been registered as the owner of the vehicle for at least 1 year
- You declare that the vehicle will only be for personal use
- You have not shipped another tax/duty free vehicle to Sweden in the previous 3 years
- You are planning a permanent move to Sweden and have the necessary authorization from the Sweden migration office to stay beyond the 3-month tourist visa
- You have applied for a Swedish person number at a Swedish tax office
- You promise not to sell the vehicle for at least 12 months
*Not meeting the above requirements can prove costly, as you will have to pay not only duty fees but also a 25% VAT.
Get a Free, No Obligation to Buy, Auto Shipping Quote.Get my free quote now
or call us to do it for you:
The two main ways to export your car to Sweden:
- Roll-On and Roll-Off Service: If you choose this service, which is the cheapest method, your automobile will be chained to a car deck on a freight ship. The necessary protections will be placed around the area to prevent your car from being damaged. It's the method in which auto manufacturers often ship vehicles from Europe to the United States.
- Container Service: This method is more expensive, certainly, but it also offers more security. Your automobile will be placed in its own individual container, which has the added advantage of being able to also store your personal goods and household items that you'd possibly want to be sent to Sweden as well. This method also has a faster delivery time than the Roll-On and Roll-Off Service, as it doesn't have to rely on the need for space to be filled up. You'll even be able to choose a specific arrival date way ahead of time.
Regardless of which service you choose, it's recommended that you inquire about obtaining Marine Cargo insurance from your current auto insurance company, which will be much cheaper than the insurance rates offered by other third parties.
Click here to find out the details about vehicle registration process in Sweden.
Main Ports of Arrival
The two main Port of Entries in Sweden are located in the cities of Gothenburg and Stockholm. If you choose the Container Service for shipping your vehicle (20-foot container), it can only arrive in Stockholm.
Both cities have a highly-developed infrastructure, roads, and railways that link to all of the other major cities in Sweden, such as:
Once the vehicle passes an inspection at the port and the customs agent approves it, you can take it to your final destination. Please make sure to ask the customs agent to add your vehicle to the active list. Your driver's license from the United States will be valid in Sweden for up to one year.Afterwards, you will have to obtain a Swedish driver's license if you hope to continue to drive it.
Get in touch with A-1 Auto immediately to help expedite this process!
Shipping Of Heavy Equipment & Oversized Cargo To Sweden
Employing proficient overseas transporters to deliver your heavy equipment or oversized cargo from the U.S. to Sweden is the quickest and most effective approach you can take in order to safely have your cargo delivered. With all that is expected to complete an effective transport and all the import laws by the nation that you must abide by, it's best to let experienced transport technicians handle the delivery. Luckily, it doesn't cost a lot to buy abroad transport services and it generally ends up being justified, despite all the expenses.
Here at A1 Auto Transport, we can transport nearly any kind of oversized cargo or piece of heavy equipment as a result of our access to the best and most present day shipping equipment and innovations. The types of freight we can and have sent to different nations in the past, include agricultural, mining, farming, construction, engineering, paving, and water powered equipment. Regardless of what you need to ship off to Sweden, we can ensure a protected delivery process.
Overseas Shipping Services Offered by A1
The international transport services offered to you will depend on the type of cargo you’re shipping. However, we have four great shipping solutions in total. Our shipping services include the following…
- Lift On/Lift Off (LoLo) Shipping- A method of open air transport that is suggested to those with inoperable vehicles, construction equipment or crated cargo. A crane is used to lift the cargo onto and off of the ship.
- Roll On/Roll Off (RoRo) Shipping- The least expensive open air service available through A1. It is only offered to those with operable equipment and vehicles that can use a ramp to drive onto and off of the boat. Ground transportation might be paired with this method if the closest seaport doesn’t accept this form of shipping.
- Container Transport- This safest form of overseas transport and also the most expensive. Your cargo is protected from poor weather conditions by the walls and ceiling of the container.
- Flat Rack Shipping- Your cargo is secured to a metal frame or flat rack then placed atop the ship.
- What does it take to ship a car to Sweden from the US?
- Shipping a car to Sweden from the USA with RORO shipping
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some of the most important car-shipment destination ports in Sweden?
The Swedish coastline is dotted with several seaports, many of which can handle cargo shipments on a massive scale. However, if you plan on getting your car shipped from the USA to Sweden, then some of the most popular options are:
Goteborg Port: Strategically located on the western coast of Sweden, the port gets its name from the city of Göteborg which nestles it in its embrace. The port is a major shipment processing center of the country, and the city itself is the second largest. It has expanded at the Gota River’s mouth, and the said river continues to maintain a vital role in the port’s functioning. The port has an annual container tonnage of 39 million tons, and the container volume exceeds 762 902 TEUs.
Stockholm Port: This port handles most of the shipments of goods coming to the country. The port is located on the Baltic Sea, and it offers full services regarding port shipments for cars and other cargo.
Gavle Port: Situated in the Gulf of Bothnia, the Gavle Port handles the bulk of import-export shipments of the country. The nearby Jarvsta hosts a Viking burial ground. Overall, the port city hosts thousands of people as citizens and can handle tons of cargo every year. The port has some shipping companies operable today, however, since it services an endless stream of ships every year, it remains an important commercial center.
How much does it cost to ship a car from the USA to Sweden?
If you’re planning on shipping your car from the USA to Sweden or thinking of buying (and then importing) a new one, you’ll need to calculate the cost beforehand. In general, you should expect to pay anywhere between $2,100 and $5,000 for shipment.
But of course, you'll also have to factor in the customs duties, taxes, insurance fees, and whatnot before you get a total on the price. The overall cost fluctuates based on several variables, so be sure to check in on the cost structure if you're looking to save money.
If you figure out the price anatomy, you’ll be able to secure cost cuts.
I have relocated to Sweden and need my car there, but I’m on a tight schedule, can you tell me how long does it take to ship a car from the USA to Sweden so that I can plan it accordingly?
The shipment duration depends on the route opted for. This, of course, is dictated by your choice of the departure port and the destination port, both of which are selected based on the distance to the vehicle’s original location and the delivery location.
For instance, if you choose the California port to Gothenburg route, then the transportation will take almost 39 days for the overseas distance. In contrast, the New York port to Gothenburg route takes almost half as much time, i.e. 21 days.
This is, of course, only the time taken for the overseas travel, the land transportation will demand an extra 5-7 days in general.
And then there are the weather conditions and other unforeseen delays, so be sure to factor all of these in before you finalize a shipment schedule.
Even at the earliest, you’ll get your car in around a month.
Why is there so much variability in the shipping costs from the USA to Sweden, what factors affect the cost of car shipments?
The shipping costs vary based on several factors, some are expected and others not so much (i.e. weather conditions, COVID-19, and so on). Here’s a list of things that usually affect the total price tag of shipping a car from the USA to Sweden:
- The car’s details, i.e. the make and model of the vehicle.
- The car's manufacturing date, i.e. it serves as a reference to determine the age.
- The car’s value, monetarily speaking, based on the condition at the time of purchase/import.
- The most convenient route in your case will also affect the shipping cost, i.e. if you choose California as the departure port (based on the original location of the car), instead of New York, then the distance to Gothenburg will be doubled. The longer the route, the costlier the shipping.
- Your shipment option, i.e. open-air shipment or closed-air shipment, will also affect the price tag, the former is cheaper and more practical for runner vehicles.
- Whether or not you get an exemption on the customs duties and taxes for the car imported will also affect the overall cost of shipping it.
- Insurance coverage fees will also be added to the shipment costs.
- You’ll also need to pay dues for the materials and equipment used in the shipping process.
There could be more factors too, but these are the most important ones.
Can you give me a list of documents I should arrange for before importing a car to Sweden?
Here’s what you need to import a vehicle from the USA to Sweden:
- A valid driver’s license
- A recent photograph of you, passport sized
- Bill of sale/invoice detailing the specs of the car, location of origin, and price
- Vehicle registration certification
- Certificate of title, original
- Insurance documents from the USA and Sweden (temporary)
- Lading bill
- Customs form
Plus, you need to be in Sweden to import the car, otherwise, the import shipment won’t clear Swedish customs.
Can you give me the important highlights/summary of the car shipment process from the USA to Sweden?
Here's a summary of the whole process to help set you on track:
- Research – you need to start with figuring out the requirements for shipping and the options available, make sure you find out:
- What are the import regulations for cars in Sweden?
- Whether or not your vehicle fits the legal import regulations set in place by the Swedish authorities.
- If your vehicle does not fit the regulations as-is, can you make the vehicle comply via modifications?
- Documents – once you’ve figured out the requirements, gather the documentation necessary for the import:
- Invoice/Bill of sale
- Vehicle registration
- Driver’s license
- Certificate of title
- Bill of lading
- Insurance coverage documents
- And so on…
- Figure out the costs – you’ll have to break down the cost structure to figure out how much the whole thing is going to set you back:
- Freighting charges
- Insurance coverage dues
- Storage charges (i.e. dues for wharves)
- Transportation/delivery dues
- Customs duties
- Charges for preparing the car, i.e. cleaning and more
- Import processing fees
- Logistics services company fees
- Customs broker’s fee
- Fee for vehicle registration in Sweden
- Charges for getting insurance protection in Sweden
- Selecting the shipping company – not only do you know a company that deals with international car import/export, but in this case, you'll need a service provider capable of dealing with imports in Sweden because this can be tricky (money-wise). A1 Auto Transport has professionals on board who can save you from being overcharged for imports in Sweden.
- Pre-shipping preparations – you need to deal with a couple of things before shipping your vehicle:
- Preparing the vehicle for shipping, i.e. cleaning
- Cleaning the undercarriage
- Choosing a departure port
- Selecting an arrival port
- Confirming complete biosafety of the vehicle, i.e. there should be no biosecurity risks (contaminants)
- Shipping your vehicle through the selected route
- Arrival at the selected port
- Unpacking and import processing
- Customs clearance
- Vehicle registration and getting insurance coverage
I have heard that the car import process in Sweden can become much costlier than it needs to be, what can I do to pay only as much as I need to?
Yes, without proper information, you might end up paying more than what you need to when importing a car to Sweden. If you do your research well and figure out the legal regulations that play in your favor, you’ll save a lot on the shipping costs:
- You should be the legal owner of the vehicle and registered for the past full year.
- You should declare with the authorities that you’ll be using the vehicle for your personal use only.
- For the tax exemption to apply, you shouldn’t have used it for the previous three years in Sweden, i.e. you are only allowed another tax-free car import after three years of the first, no sooner.
- You should be planning to move to Sweden, permanently with proper authorization from the concerned departments.
- You need permission from the migration office to overstay the 3-month limit tourist visa.
- You should apply for a personal number at the tax office in Sweden.
- You'll be bound by a contract to not sell the imported vehicle within the next full year of shipping it to Sweden.
If you comply with the following conditions, you’ll be able to enjoy exemptions in taxes and duties and thus slash down the shipping cost.
Why are car shipping costs so high for Sweden?
If you’re moving to Sweden because of your job or for some other reason, and want your car shipped to your new address, or just want to import a new car, you don’t need to worry about the procedure complexity. Sweden is a perfect country when it comes to importing cars, but the cost part is a bit less than ideal.
Since the country has a flourishing economy and general prosperity, you might end up paying more than necessary. Unless you understand your legal options correctly, your shipping costs will be inflated. Fortunately, it just takes a little digging to find out how you can secure duties and tax exemptions for car imports.
A1 Auto Transport is very well connected in Sweden, and we will do our best to minimize your shipping costs without you having to do much about it.
Is importing a car from the USA to Sweden overly complicated?
Usually, the biggest problem with importing cars to foreign countries for USA citizens who’ve relocated is the language barrier. Not everyone speaks English. However, in Sweden, English speakers are very common.
Their population is the most proficient globally when comes to language skills in English, which is a second language to them. Moreover, the import regulations are not extraordinarily tough, and you won't come across as many unexpected bumps and difficulties as with other countries.
All in all, importing a car from the USA to Sweden is not complicated, however, you need to watch how much you spend on doing so.
What are the common shipping methods for importing cars to Sweden?
For car imports to Sweden, you can choose either the open-air or closed-air shipment option. The former is also called roll-on, roll-off service in which case an operable car is driven onto the ship, fastened on board, and then driven off-board once it arrives at the destination port.
It is comparatively cheaper and works better for runner vehicles.
On the other hand, closed-air shipment or container shipping is more expensive, but it does afford greater protection.
However, for most people, the former option works well for operable vehicles.
How can I get my imported car to clear the Swedish customs?
You’ll have to be in Sweden for your imported car to be cleared by the customs, and here’s what you need:
- Certificate of title
- Vehicle registration
- USA insurance coverage
If you’ve got all of these documents then the rest should be easy. Unless you qualify for an exemption in customs duties and taxes, you'll have to pay a value-added tax of up to 25%. Once you've done so, you can collect your vehicle.
How do I get my imported vehicle registered with the Swedish authorities?
Once your car has cleared the Swedish customs, you’ll have to register it with the concerned department.
Here’s a summary of the vehicle registration process:
- First, you’ll verify the origin
- Then you’ll have to get your car inspected before you can register it
- Then the car will be inspected for verification of technical identity
- After that, you can get a registration number for the vehicle
- Following this comes the road-worthiness test
- Finally, you can get your vehicle licensed
Please note that you can only operate your vehicle legally within Sweden once it has been registered, even if you plan on using it temporarily.