Ship Your Car To Or From Sweden
Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
- Vehicle shipping costs to Sweden from the U.S. start at $2,100 and go up to $5,000.
- Normal sized cars, smaller trucks, and motorcycles are cheaper to ship than larger, heavier vehicles.
Cost & Time Examples For Shipping a Car to Sweden
|San Jose, CA to (California port) to Gavle||$200||$3,800||5+39|
|Los Angeles to (California port) to Gavle||$350||$3,800||5+39|
|Boston, MA to (New York port) to Gothenburg||$400||$2,300||5+21|
|Las Vegas, NV to (California port) to Gavle||$450||$3,800||5+39|
|Seattle, WA to (California port) to Gothenburg||$550||$3,500||6+39|
|Detroit, MI to (New York port) to Gavle||$575||$2,700||6+21|
|Chicago, IL to (New York port) to Stockholm||$675||$2,500||6+21|
|Denver, CO to (California port) to Gothenburg||$775||$3,500||7+39|
|Memphis, TN to (New York port) to Stockholm||$800||$2,500||6+21|
|Houston, TX to (New York port) to Stockholm||$1,075||$2,500||7+21|
*Prices and times are estimated. They can vary depending on the season and the type of vehicle.
*Save the ground transport cost by delivering the vehicle to the nearest port.
*Allow an additional 10 days to process the documents.
*Prices are for 1 car in a dedicated 20ft container. This is the safest and most reliable way to transport a vehicle internationally. Other items may be included in the container to help save you money when moving.
*Using the RoRo (roll on, roll off) method is less expensive and shipments can be completed in fewer days. Contact us now for a free RoRo quote.
Shipping your car to Sweden may seem like a simple process due to Sweden's stable and secure economic environment, but there a few things that one has to be aware of when doing so. Due to the high costs that can be associated with its duty fees, taxes, as well as the destination costs, it's imperative that you avoid or limit as many of these fees as possible through making sure that you meet all of the qualifications, adhere to the regulations, and utilize the various legalities that exist.
A-1 Auto, with its years of experience in successfully shipping automobiles to Sweden, can handle the whole process at each and every step. You'll not only receive your car reliably at your port of arrival, but you'll also have a peace of mind in knowing that you will not be paying more than is necessary for your own particular situation.
Located in Northern Europe in what is known as the Scandinavian region, Sweden is the third biggest European Union country, with a population of 9.6 million. Interestingly, Sweden has a predominantly urban population, which comprises 85% of its total population. Bordering both Norway and Finland, Sweden has some remarkable and rich wildlife and forests, leading to it often being under appreciated for its scenery.
As one of the most highly-developed post-industrial nations in the world, it's a country that is well-known for its security and stability. Their strong economy and low unemployment is also enhanced by their high standard of living and life expectancy, which is some of the highest in the world. Much of that is due to their advanced welfare system.
Considering its highly stable and secure environment, as well as having the distinction of having the highest proficiency in English as a second language in the world, many of the difficulties and unforeseen circumstances that entail shipping your automobile to other countries don't apply to Sweden.
However, due to its wealthy population and advanced economy, shipping costs can be quite high, especially if one doesn't have detailed knowledge of all of the legal loopholes and requirements that could lower the price. A-1 Autohas local agents in Sweden that will ensure that you qualify for as many discounts on tax, duty, and import fees as possible. As mentioned, since Swedes are fluent in English, our agents will make sure that there's no breakdown in communications during the process.
Required Documents For Shipping A Vehicle To Sweden
- Valid Driver's License
- Recent Passport Photo
- Purchase Invoice / Bill of Sale (Price, Date, and Location of Original Purchase)
- Certificate of Registration
- Original Title of Automobile
- Proof of Insurance in the United States and Temporary Insurance in Sweden
- Bill of lading
- Customs form (different from household goods form)
*It's important to note that the owner of the vehicle MUST BE PRESENT IN SWEDEN AT THE PORT OF ARRIVAL. Otherwise, it will not be possible to gain customs clearance.
Furthermore, you should also be aware of certain regulations, as not following them can result in higher than necessary expenses, which are:
- You have been registered as the owner of the vehicle for at least 1 year
- You declare that the vehicle will only be for personal use
- You have not shipped another tax/duty free vehicle to Sweden in the previous 3 years
- You are planning a permanent move to Sweden and have the necessary authorization from the Sweden migration office to stay beyond the 3-month tourist visa
- You have applied for a Swedish person number at a Swedish tax office
- You promise not to sell the vehicle for at least 12 months
*Not meeting the above requirements can prove costly, as you will have to pay not only duty fees but also a 25% VAT.
The two main ways to export your car to Sweden:
- Roll-On and Roll-Off Service: If you choose this service, which is the cheapest method, your automobile will be chained to a car deck on a freight ship. The necessary protections will be placed around the area to prevent your car from being damaged. It's the method in which auto manufacturers often ship vehicles from Europe to the United States.
- Container Service: This method is more expensive, certainly, but it also offers more security. Your automobile will be placed in its own individual container, which has the added advantage of being able to also store your personal goods and household items that you'd possibly want to be sent to Sweden as well. This method also has a faster delivery time than the Roll-On and Roll-Off Service, as it doesn't have to rely on the need for space to be filled up. You'll even be able to choose a specific arrival date way ahead of time.
Regardless of which service you choose, it's recommended that you inquire about obtaining Marine Cargo insurance from your current auto insurance company, which will be much cheaper than the insurance rates offered by other third parties.
Click here to find out the details about vehicle registration process in Sweden.
Main Ports of Arrival
The two main Port of Entries in Sweden are located in the cities of Gothenburg and Stockholm. If you choose the Container Service for shipping your vehicle (20-foot container), it can only arrive in Stockholm.
Both cities have a highly-developed infrastructure, roads, and railways that link to all of the other major cities in Sweden, such as:
Once the vehicle passes an inspection at the port and the customs agent approves it, you can take it to your final destination. Please make sure to ask the customs agent to add your vehicle to the active list. Your driver's license from the United States will be valid in Sweden for up to one year.Afterwards, you will have to obtain a Swedish driver's license if you hope to continue to drive it.
Get in touch with A-1 Auto immediately to help expedite this process!
Shipping Of Heavy Equipment & Oversized Cargo To Sweden
Employing proficient overseas transporters to deliver your heavy equipment or oversized cargo from the U.S. to Sweden is the quickest and most effective approach you can take in order to safely have your cargo delivered. With all that is expected to complete an effective transport and all the import laws by the nation that you must abide by, it's best to let experienced transport technicians handle the delivery. Luckily, it doesn't cost a lot to buy abroad transport services and it generally ends up being justified, despite all the expenses.
Here at A1 Auto Transport, we can transport nearly any kind of oversized cargo or piece of heavy equipment as a result of our access to the best and most present day shipping equipment and innovations. The types of freight we can and have sent to different nations in the past, include agricultural, mining, farming, construction, engineering, paving, and water powered equipment. Regardless of what you need to ship off to Sweden, we can ensure a protected delivery process.
Overseas Shipping Services Offered by A1
The international transport services offered to you will depend on the type of cargo you’re shipping. However, we have four great shipping solutions in total. Our shipping services include the following…
- Lift On/Lift Off (LoLo) Shipping- A method of open air transport that is suggested to those with inoperable vehicles, construction equipment or crated cargo. A crane is used to lift the cargo onto and off of the ship.
- Roll On/Roll Off (RoRo) Shipping- The least expensive open air service available through A1. It is only offered to those with operable equipment and vehicles that can use a ramp to drive onto and off of the boat. Ground transportation might be paired with this method if the closest seaport doesn’t accept this form of shipping.
- Container Transport- This safest form of overseas transport and also the most expensive. Your cargo is protected from poor weather conditions by the walls and ceiling of the container.
- Flat Rack Shipping- Your cargo is secured to a metal frame or flat rack then placed atop the ship.
Related Information & FAQs
- What does it take to ship a car to Sweden from the US?
- Shipping a car to Sweden from the USA with RORO shipping
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.