When deciding on a company with whom to ship your motorcycle, it is often easiest to begin the process online. Many companies offer free quote calculators, but your best bet is to have a company quote you based on your specific make/model in order to receive the most accurate pricing. Any company can provide you with an arbitrary number, but a reputable company will take the time to find out which type of motorcycle you ride, where you are transporting from, and what is the final destination. Unfortunately, motorcycle shippers, like so many in the auto transport industry, tend to have a less than stellar reputation, and most of the time, it is well warranted. Heed this advice if you want to have an exceptional experience with a reputable motorcycle transport company.
When shipping a motorcycle, it is so important to plan ahead, because if you procrastinate, you area more likely to make rash decisions, often with undesirable consequences. Follow these do’s and don’ts when vetting a prospective motorcycle shipping company.
- Don’t select the first company you contact, no matter how enticing the quote may be. It is always best to speak to a number of options before narrowing down your choices.
- Do compare apples to apples, by ensuring each company takes into account your specific requirements, requests, and offers you a comparable package and insurance option.
- Don’t pay in advance. A true transport company will never bill you in full before your cargo is picked up. Many will require a deposit, but this is just to ensure your commitment.
- Do utilize online quote calculators to your advantage. If you have already calculated a price before speaking to a company, but their actual quote is more, ask if they are willing to meet it. Any company worth its salt will recognize the importance of standing by the original quote.
In order to negotiate the best transport deal with a potential motorcycle shipper, you want to allow some flexibility in your demands. If money is no object, of course, set your bottom line and stick to it. If you do want this endeavor to be budget-friendly and are finding that quotes seem too high, then prepare to make some concessions. For example, ask the company if it would be more cost-efficient to opt OUT of door-to-door transport and instead deliver your motorcycle to a designated pick-up spot? It is always very helpful to give a wide range for both pick-up and delivery dates because this allows more drivers to accommodate your motorcycle along with the other cargo on their route.
Prepare Your Motorcycle.
From beginning the process of shopping online to ending it by selecting your shipper and deciding on a date range for pick-up, you have essentially done all the difficult legwork. You will, however, want to prepare your bike for pick-up which can consist of draining fluids, inspecting exterior, and removing any after-market items that could be lost in transit. Your shipper will give you further details in regards to preparation of your bike. It’s now time to sit back, relax, and say bye to your ride.
- Shipping motorcycle internationally via airfleight
- What is the average cost of shipping a bike overseas
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.