PCSing can be a headache. If you have orders to move in the near future, consider shipping your bike with a professional motorcycle transport company.
The military can ship your motorcycle as a privately owned vehicle unless the country you are moving to does not allow importation of motorcycles.
A-1 Auto Transport ships vehicles worldwide. Click Here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
If the country you are moving to does allow bikes to be imported, you will need to be sure you have all the right documents prepared. Customs rules and regulations are constantly changing. So make sure to stay up-to-date by contacting customs yourself or consulting with an agent of the motorcycle transport company.
How does the Military Want Me to Prepare My Bike for Transport?
- Fuel injected bikes have to be drained of fuel. Carbureted models must be drained as low as possible. You can accomplish this by running the engine until it is empty or by using a siphoning device.
- Make sure your tires are inflated and that leaks are repaired. Oil, fuel, and transmission fluid that leak can damage other cargo onboard. To avoid a hefty fee, make sure to have your motorcycle inspected by a mechanic prior to shipping.
- Disconnect the battery and use electrical tape on the ends to prevent sparking.
- Remove all belongings on the outside of the bike including items inside the saddlebags. Helmets may be shipped with the bike as long as they are securely fastened to the motorcycle.
- Ensure the motorcycle is unlocked.
- Make sure to document the condition of your motorcycle.
Is Transporting a Bike Expensive.
The cost of shipping depends on a few different factors. The make and model of your bike, the weight, method of shipping, and distance all play a role in how much you will pay in the end. Luckily, professional motorcycle haulers have discounts for individuals in the military.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.