The Process Of Registering A Vehicle Shipped To The Netherlands
This article will address the basic aspects of getting an imported car registered in the Netherlands. The topics covered here will include the road tax (Bpm), import duties and value added tax, and the road safety test that all registered vehicles must undergo. At the bottom of the page you’ll find some helpful resources with more in-depth information on various related topics.
Road Tax (Bpm)
The import tax for vehicles shipped to the Netherlands is commonly referred to as “Bpm,” sometimes also called the Green Tax. The Bpm is a one-time tax on motor vehicles that is based on the CO2 emissions for cars and small passenger vehicles, and based on the listed value for larger vehicles like buses and vans. Vehicles that have zero emissions do not have to pay the Bpm.
Duties & Value Added Tax (VAT)
In addition to the road tax (Bpm) mentioned above, you will also be responsible for paying both import duties and a value added tax (VAT). For cars imported to the Netherlands, the import tax is 10% of the purchase price plus the shipping costs. The VAT adds another 21% to that, which also includes shipping costs. As you can see, these taxes add up quickly and the total is not insignificant.
Motorcycles are subject to a 6% import duty and the same 21% VAT, while trucks pay a whopping 22% import tax and the 21% VAT. Classics and vehicles more than 30 years old pay only the 6% duty.
For more information about shipping a vehicle to the Netherlands, click here to visit our international page! There you’ll find information about how to prepare your vehicle for shipping, expected costs, and what documents you’ll need for importing.
Netherlands Roadworthiness Inspection & Vehicle Registration Resources
An imported vehicle must be inspected for safety and roadworthiness in order to be registered. In the Netherlands, this test has many of the same procedural elements and requirements you’ll find in other European countries:
- Headlights (high & low beams, and fog lights)
- Windshield wipers & mirrors
- Turn signals and hazard lights
- Steering & suspension
- Tire tread
- Seat belts operate correctly
- Inspection for body damage
Netherlands Vehicle Registration Resources
Netherlands Customs Declaration – This web page explains the details of the Bpm and which types of vehicles are exempt from the tax. You’ll also find the appropriate forms and documents needed to declare personal property and register your vehicle.
Driving In The Netherlands – A good general resources about the rules of the road and information about getting an international driving permit and a Dutch driver’s license. This information is from the U.S. Embassy in the Netherlands.
We encourage readers with questions about shipping a vehicle to the Netherlands to give us a call at the number at the top of the page! Our staff is ready to answer your questions or offer a FREE cost estimate any time of day! Contact us today for a quote!
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory