How to Prepare Your Motorcycle for Transport
One of the customers’ responsibilities in the process of shipping a motorcycle is to make sure it is prepared for its future travels. Preparing the bike keeps it safe from harm and prevents causing injury to those caring for its delivery. It doesn’t take long to fulfill the preparation requests of a transporter.
Complete the tasks days before its pickup is scheduled.
- Drain all the bike’s fluids except the fuel tank. The fuel tank may have ¼ or less of a tankful
- Wash the bike to clean off all dirt, grime and debris
- If requested due to container shipping methods or other reasons, remove the handlebars and other protruding parts from the motorcycle
- Disconnect the battery if necessary and turn off any alarm systems
- Photograph the bike so there’s proof of its condition before the transport takes place
- Have mechanics perform maintenance to the bike before it goes with the transporter
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.