What is the Farm Equipment Haulers?
Due to their weight and size, farm equipment haulers need to make special considerations when shipping them. The following article will go through the types of machinery auto shipping companies can haul, as well as the tools they use to haul them.
Types of Agricultural and Farm Machinery
This is the most used machinery in every farm. Its purpose is to pull supplies and heavy objects required in production. At the back, it has 2 big wheels, and at the front, it has 2 smaller ones. Modern tractors have a durable body and wheels, temperature control and comfortable seats.
Types of tractors:
- Utility tractors,
- Tractors with a four wheel drive,
- Compact utility tractors,
- Row Crop Tractors,
Through pulverizing and mixing, the soil is cultivated prior to planting. By doing this, the soil is aerated. Similar to a tractor, a cultivator has 2 large back wheels and 2 large front wheels. Once it is operational, it also has teeth / shanks to cultivate the ground.
This machine is linked to a tractor to spread the seeds throughout the land. A hopper with rotor blades holds the seeds. The broadcast seeder uses spinning disks to allocate the seeds in various patterns.
As the name implies, the harvester is used to harvest all sorts of grains. The machinery chops up the plants, gets rid of debris, and recovers the product.
Equipment Used in Hauling Farm Equipment
Before the transport process can begin, farm equipment haulers require the following information:
- What equipment and how many you need transported;
- Each vehicle’s name, model and make;
- Each vehicle’s dimensions: weight, length, width and height;
- The origin and destination points.
- A few times and dates on which you’d like them to pick up and deliver your automobile.
Once this information is provided, the farm equipment haulers will decide what carrier to use amongst the following:
- Flatbed truck or trailer: This kind of truck can be rigid or articulated. As suggested by the name, its trailer is a flat bed with no roof or sides. Because of this, farm equipment can be easily loaded and carried. This kind of trailer / truck is not recommended for weather sensitive equipment. It is best used for heavy equipment which needs more space than provided by a closed trailer.
- Removable Gooseneck Trailer: Also known as RGN trailers, they can be used to haul heavier and taller loads than most other trailers. Once you’ve detached the removable gooseneck from the trailer, you can load farm equipment and vehicles freely, without the need of a ramp.
- Double Drop Trailers: They’re normally used for equipment which you can drive on them, such as agricultural combines, cranes, forklifts, etc.
- Lowboy Trailers: They are semi-trailers whose deck height drops twice: before the wheels and after the gooseneck. Thanks to this, the deck is very close to the ground, making it ideal for farm equipment haulers who want to move tall machines.
Other carriers they may use are:
- Step Deck Trailers;
- Specialized Trailers;
- Extendable Trailers;
- Hot Shot Trailers.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.