There are two primary ways in which motorcycles are delivered: shipped to a transport terminal or delivered directly to a specific location. When a bike is shipped to a terminal, the customer has to retrieve it themselves, adding an extra step to the process and requiring the use of a trailer to transport it. The other method, known as door-to-door motorcycle transport, eliminates the need for pickup by the customer since it’s dropped at the location specified. As you might imagine, between these two modes of motorcycle shipping, the one that is most commonly used is door-to-door shipping.
One of the reasons that door-to-door transport is the most popular way of shipping a bike is that it not only provides the most convenience for the customer, but it’s also fairly inexpensive, even if it does cost slightly more than shipping to a terminal. In many cases, the cost difference between the two options is $100 or less, making it a very appealing option, especially when factoring in that it requires no extra steps for the party it’s being shipped for. Door-to-door transport is also available for a wide range of shipping options, including cross country transport, international shipping, and shipping of multiple bikes at once. Additionally, door-to-door shipping can be arranged for any type of motorcycle, including all of the following:
- Standard Bikes
- Sport Bikes
- Sport Touring Motorcycles
- Dual Sport Motorcycles
- Trikes & Three-wheelers
- Off-road Bikes
Door-to-Door Motorcycle Shipping Options
Motorcycle shipping companies typically offer a variety of transport services. Door to door shipping isn’t the only service that can simplify your bike’s delivery process. Although the following services are strictly optional, most of them offer advanced levels of convenience and security during your bike’s travels.
- Expedited shipping puts your motorcycle at the top of the transporter’s priority list and ensures the fastest delivery possible. Depending on the shipping distance, it can sometimes even be delivered within 1-2 days.
- Satellite tracking is normally a free add-on to a customer’s purchase of shipping services. Real-time satellite tracking services can be accessed through any Wi-Fi enabled device. This allows the customer to see the constant progress of their motorcycle’s shipping process.
- Crated shipping is a little costlier than other services but it provides a lot more protection. The bike is prepared then secured to a wooden pallet. The wooden pallet is then slid inside of a small shipping crate. Once inside, the motorcycle is kept snug so that it doesn’t shift around during its travels.
- Enclosed shipping services are often paired with crated shipping to provide for the maximum amount of security and protection during the transport process. When you opt for enclosed shipping, the motorcycle is covered on all sides in an enclosed carrier to minimize the chance of damages from weather or road hazards.
Door 2 Door Motorcycle Shipping Resources
Door To Door Motorcycle Shipping - This article has helpful information that overlaps with some of what’s mentioned on this page, as well as other resources to help you with preparing your motorcycle for shipping and finding a good option to ship your bike.
Door To Door Auto Transport - Door-to-door shipping can also be done with other types of vehicles and it’s a service that’s often requested of our car shippers as well. This resource has further information on the topic and spells out some of the expected costs for door-to-door shipment of other vehicles.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.