If you’re relocating overseas from Australia to Nigeria, or you’re a Nigerian citizen who has lived abroad in Australia and is now moving home, you may be wondering what it will cost to ship your vehicle back from Australia to Nigeria. What costs are involved, and is it worth it? Find out!
How Much Does Shipping A Car From Australia To Nigeria Cost?
It may cost anywhere from $1,500 to $2,000 AUD to ship a car from Australia to Nigeria, but the costs can vary quite a bit. The only way to get an accurate cost assessment is to contact a qualified and experienced car shipping company like A-1 Auto Transport for an estimate.
The cost of shipping a car from Australia to Nigeria varies so much because there are many factors that affect your shipment, such as the size and weight of the car, whether you choose RoRo (Roll On, Roll Off) or container shipping, whether you share a container with other shipping customers, and the total distance of your journey.
Will I Have To Pay Taxes & Fees When Shipping A Car From Australia To Nigeria?
Yes. And, thanks to a relatively recent rule change in Nigeria, the taxes you’ll pay are sky-high. Thanks to the new Automotive Industry Development Plan (NAIDP), the effective tax rate is 70%. The original tax rate was 35%, and the NAIDP levied an additional 35% for a total of 70%.
Before this, the tax rate was 20%, which made it much more reasonable to import a car. If you really want to keep your car and ship it from Australia to Nigeria, be aware that you will face a huge tax bill when importing your car.
Note also that there are some restrictions on importing cars. Cars older than 15 years may not be imported. You also can’t import a right-hand drive car. RHD cars cannot be modified or converted – they are completely ineligible for registration and licensing.
If your car was made in Australia, it’s likely an RHD vehicle, and may not be importable to Nigeria. You will need to sell it in Australia and buy a different car in Nigeria.
Is It Worth The Cost To Ship A Car From Australia To Nigeria?
If you have a left-hand drive (LHD) car in Australia that’s irreplaceable or precious to you and that you want to keep when you go to Nigeria, it’s definitely worth it to ship the vehicle, even though you will pay high taxes and fees.
However, if your car is not that special to you, you may want to consider selling it and buying a different car in Nigeria. The 70% tax is absolutely enormous – and the more valuable your car is, the more you’ll pay.
Get Help Shipping A Car From Australia To Nigeria – Contact A-1 Auto Transport
With our global team of service providers, A-1 Auto Transport can arrange for the shipping of a car from Australia to Nigeria, as well as most other African countries. Contact us online or call now to get started right away.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.