Shipping A Vehicle To El Salvador
Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
- If you use a shipping container to transport a car to El Salvador from the U.S., it will generally cost $2,000 to $4,200 for a standard car.
- Factors that can affect the total cost include where it’s being shipped from, the size of the vehicle, and the added costs of local import taxes and registration.
Exporting your vehicle into El Salvador requires a clear and original title. If you are shipping a vehicle that is still being paid for or is leased, then you need a notarized letter from the lienholder giving you permission to move the vehicle into the country.
In order to export your vehicle to El Salvador, US Customs requires that you drop your car off at the pier from which it is shipping at least 72 hours in advance. This allows for time for the vehicle to be checked thoroughly and for Customs to assure that nothing was placed in the vehicle after an initial inspection.
If you are thinking of driving to El Salvador instead of shipping your vehicle, you might want to reconsider. The roads are not well maintained between the southern portions of the U.S. and El Salvador and are dangerous at some junctures on the journey. An auto shipping company can move your car to El Salvador safely and efficiency, saving you from the hassle of such a harrowing trip.
You must be in the country for your auto shipment to clear. This means that you are not able to send your vehicle ahead and have it waiting for you at the place in which you plan to stay while in the country. You must be there to pick it up and present the proper identification upon arrival in order for your vehicle to clear customs.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Popular Shipping Destinations
Required Documents For Shipping A Vehicle To El Salvador
- Bill of lading (original and copy)
- Original commercial invoice with vehicle value
- Vehicle title for proof of ownership
- Certificate of compliance (translated into Spanish)
- Driver’s license
- Residence permit
Allow Us To Assist
El Salvador is a beautiful country, full of some of the most beautiful scenery found in the world. However, as one of the underdeveloped countries in the region, it is also a country that requires vast knowledge and expertise of the area in order to successfully ship a vehicle here. To successfully ship, you need more than a qualified shipping company; you need one that will see you through all facets of the process.
Chances are, to get your vehicle into the country, it will arrive via container on a ship. Overseeing this process to ensure that your car is not damaged en route means that your auto shipping company must have a hand in all facets of the journey, from getting your car properly loaded into the container to working closely with the handlers on the ship to helping you and your vehicle through El Salvadoran customs upon arrival.
Costs for Shipping Into El Salvador
El Salvador operates on the Central American Tariff System. This classifies certain commodities into categories and then adds a 13% Value Added Tax to the item in question, which may well apply to your vehicle as well. In addition to the VAT, you may also need to pay 30% of the CIF value of the vehicle, which depends on the year, make and model.
Auto Transport to El Salvador
It is important that the company in question is fully licensed and bonded via the Federal Maritime Commission. This not only provides you a greater level of protection but also assures that you know the company in question knows what they are doing to have received this level of licensure.
One of the things that your auto transport company might instruct you to do is take the tags off of your car ahead of shipping it. The license plates are sometimes stolen off of vehicles being shipped for souvenir purposes.
Make sure to ship your vehicle apart from the rest of any household goods that you may be shipping into the country, if you are planning a permanent move here. This assures that the process will move quickly and you do not inadvertently forget any necessary paperwork you might need.
Don’t run into a gas emergency; do your research well in advance. The US Coast Guard requires that for vehicles being shipped via container, the gas tank is completely empty. For roll on/roll off shipping, there should only be a quarter of a tank of gas in the vehicle prior to shipping.
Related Information & FAQs
- Have professionals handle shipping a car from the US to El Salvador
- What will it cost to ship a car to El Salvador through an overseas transporter?
- The method of transport most used for shipping a car to El Salvador from the USA
- How can I ship a car to El Salvador with other belongings?
- Importing a car to El Salvador is wise if the experts are hired
- Professional transport companies provide the best way to ship a car to El Salvador
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?