Shipping Cars To or From Port of Burns Waterway Harbor
Seated in the Steel Capital of North America, Burns Waterway Harbor is a force to be reckoned with as it provides ocean access to the nation’s heartland. It has extended unrivaled competitive edge to nearby companies that dabble in grain, fertilizer, and minerals. The port also handles heavy lift cargo such as vehicles. Here’s what you need to know about shipping cars to or from Port of Burns Waterway Harbor.
Burns Harbor is one of the arms of Port of Indiana located in Northwest Indiana. It oversees both international and domestic shipping via the St. Lawrence Seaway that links the Great Lakes to the legendary Atlantic Ocean. It also offers barge access to the Gulf of Mexico and well over 20 states via inland waterways. Its strategic position allows it to serve the leading shipping lines that navigate the Great Lakes on the Port of Indiana. Word to the wise, it’s better to go for an auto mover that charts international waters when shipping cars to or from Port of Burns Waterway Harbor.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Mode of shipping
When shipping cars to or from Port of Burns Waterway you have the option of choosing between Container and roll on roll off shipment methods. Your vehicle will either be loaded into a 20 feet container on its own or a shared high cube 40 ft. container. The latter option is only viable if all the cars are bound for the same destination.
- As you may have guessed, use of a high cube container will be more pocket-friendly seeing as the cost of port charges, customs clearance, and ocean freight are spread out among other car owners. The trade off to this consolidated container shipping option is that it will take longer to find other individuals open to the same mode of shipment and who are heading in the same direction. If you want quicker shipping, a single use container is the way to go.
- Ro Ro is a more fitting choice for the average Joe who is looking to save a buck. In this method, your car will be parked at the terminal before it’s driven into the belly or hull of the ship. This is made possible by use of roll on roll off ramps. Picture it like a parking garage housed in a very large vessel with countless parking spots. After all the vehicles are loaded into the ship they are firmly braced into position.
Discharge and departure logistics
When shipping via container, your automobile must be in the hands of your auto shipper prior to departure because of logistics of loading and offloading. As for Ro Ro, you can choose to deliver the car to the departure terminal yourself or have your a domestic transporter take it to the port terminal. In both scenarios, your auto shipper is not privy to the process and as such you will not be issued an inspection report. Owing to this, cars utilizing Ro Ro may only be insured for total loss as there is no telling what sort of damage the car had before setting sail.
Kindly reach out to us if you need any assistance.
Auto Transport Services in Indiana (IN), USA
- Anderson, Indiana (IN)
- Bloomington, Indiana (IN)
- Carmel, Indiana (IN)
- Columbus, Indiana (IN)
- Elkhart, Indiana (IN)
- Evansville, Indiana (IN)
- Fishers, Indiana (IN)
- Fort Wayne, Indiana (IN)
- Gary, Indiana (IN)
- Greenwood, Indiana (IN)
- Hammond, Indiana (IN)
- Indianapolis, Indiana (IN)
- Kokomo, Indiana (IN)
- Lafayette, Indiana (IN)
- Lawrence, Indiana (IN)
- Mishawaka, Indiana (IN)
- Muncie, Indiana (IN)
- New Albany, Indiana (IN)
- Noblesville, Indiana (IN)
- Port of Burns Waterway Harbor, Indiana (IN)
- Port Of Indiana-Burns Harbor, Indiana (IN)
- Port of Mount Vernon, Indiana (IN)
- Port Of Buffington Harbor, Indiana (IN)
- Portage, Indiana (IN)
- South Bend, Indiana (IN)
- Terre Haute, Indiana (IN)