Shipping your motorcycle across the country, or even internationally, doesn’t have to be as expensive of an ordeal as you would think. Just like with automobiles, shipping a motorcycle at an affordable rate requires proper planning and research.
Whether you’ve ordered a motorcycle from a dealership online, are moving to a different state, or simply want to bring your motorcycle to a special event, finding a shipping company that specializes in transporting all types of motorcycles at an affordable rate, without sacrificing on security and speed, is important.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
The following tips will help.
Find a Company that is an Expert in Motorcycle Transportation.
It may seem tempting to simply choose a company that offers the lowest price, but doing so could cost you a great deal of hassle in terms of delays, as well as extra costs due to shipping damage and so forth. That’s why you should only work with companies that have a stellar reputation for shipping motorcycles and that seem reputable.
A company that has a demonstrated expertise in motorcycle shipping will be officially licensed to do so. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has made it a requirement for all motorcycle transporters to be licensed.
The company that you choose must also have a demonstrated expertise in shipping a wide variety of motorcycle types. These types should include:
This is important because it’s necessary to understand how to handle different models and designs of motorcycles in order to avoid damaging them during the shipping process. A shipping company needs to have specialized equipment in order to ship your motorcycle properly.
For a list of safety regulations and other licensing information, please visit:
Choose the Best Shipping Method for Your Needs.
The two main ways to ship your motorcycle are through either Enclosed Trailers or Open Trailers.
Shipping your motorcycle on an enclosed trailer is the more expensive option out of the two. However, it is a much safer method and also protects your motorcycle more securely from both theft and damage. It’s the ideal choice for those who are:
- Shipping their motorcycle over a long distance.
- Don’t need the motorcycle to arrive on a specific date.
- Shipping a motorcycle that is expensive or extremely fragile.
Modern enclosed transport trailers will often feature air ride suspension and a soft-tie strapping system so that there’s less shock on your bike during the journey. If you have several motorcycles that you’re planning on shipping, you may even be able to get them all on the same trailer.
Choosing an open transport trailer is cheaper than an enclosed trailer, but it still is a viable option, depending on your particular circumstances. Because there isn’t a roof or side panels covering the trailer, your motorcycle will be more susceptible to weather damage and other various elements, not to mention being less secure.
It’s an option to consider if:
- You only need to ship your motorcycle a short distance
- You need it shipped immediately and are on a strict deadline
- Your motorcycle isn’t particularly fragile or valuable
Choose Door-to-Door Shipping.
The majority of companies that ship motorcycles will offer door-to-door service for a minimal fee or even for free. However, if, for some reason, they can’t pick it up at the starting point or deliver it at your destination, you will need to reach an amicable arrangement with them before agreeing to hire them. Not doing so can cost you extra money due to transportation costs, as well as inconvenience.
If either the pick-up or drop-off points are in an impractical location for safe delivery, it’s better to meet at a location that has plenty of space and is securely lit.
Make Sure That You Have Adequate Insurance Coverage.
Motorcycle transport companies will offer some type of insurance coverage, but it sometimes can be quite basic and won’t cover everything that you may need. To be sure, you should discuss this with the company and ask them to explain:
- The types of motorcycle damage that are under coverage.
- The coverage limit that it provides.
- If it also covers motorcycle accessories and other add-ons.
Some motorcycles that are extremely valuable may need extra coverage, which the transport company should be able to help provide.
A-1 Auto specializes in motorcycle transportation and can provide you with a cheap rate, while also making sure that your motorcycle gets to your final destination fast and on-time!
Motorcycle Shipping: Tips & Frequently Asked Questions
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory