Domestic USA & International Auto Shipping
- Quote Calculator
If you make the wise decision of hiring a professional auto moving service to transport your car to your new home, it is important to remember that you still have certain tasks and duties that you must take care of.
Your primary responsibility is to find the best method and the best company to help you move your belongings. First, make sure to shop around for the best shipment and insurance rates. Compare prices and, as you narrow down your possibilities, check to make sure each company has the following:
- Make sure the transportation company is registered with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) by going to protectyourmove.gov. Here, you can also check the complaint record of any mover, broker, or moving company.
- Avoid mover’s fraud and other scams by asking to see a company’s U.S. DOT number.
- Any licensed and reputable vehicle transportation service will give you a booklet (free of charge) that explains in great detail the transportation process and what your responsibilities are during the move.
- Be sure to watch this PSA, which covers all of these tips in greater detail.
Once you find a reputable and legitimate moving service, you move into the second stage of responsibilities that you must undertake for a successful move. These include:
- Reading and understanding all the paperwork and moving documents that are issued by your chosen moving service.
- Block out time to be available for pickup and delivery dates. If you can’t be available for any reason, be sure to assign a knowledgeable representative to be present on your behalf.
- Also be sure to be courteous and inform your moving service if you need to change any dates for any reason.
- Refer to this detailed handbook, issued by the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration for more information regarding your next steps.
As the shipping date gets closer, it is important to begin documenting the condition your car is currently in. Be sure to:
- Wash your car. This will help you spot even the tiniest of marks on the exterior of your car.
- Remove all personal belongings from the interior of your car. Not only will this make it easier for you to check for any previously-incurred interior damage to your vehicle; it will also make the shipping process easier and safer, as personal items may shift during the move and cause damage to your vehicle.
- Check for any leaks. Make sure your engine and battery are both leak-free. Once again, the transportation process can be a bit rough on a vehicle. If any part of your automobile is just a bit fragile, the strain of traveling might cause some serious damage to the car.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Essentially, be sure to treat your car like you would if you were taking it in for a state inspection. Be sure to use this incredibly useful resource to find out what moving resources you might have at your disposal, depending on what state you currently live in.