Chains vs. Tire Straps
Hands down tire straps are the way to go! Most enclosed auto shipping companies use tire straps and a few open carrier companies as well. The problem with choosing a company that uses tire strips is that moving your car is going to cost you more.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
What’s wrong with chains?
Chains are ok with and experienced driver that understands the effects of not using them correctly. Most manufacturers have designed holes in the frame of the car to hook the chain to. The problem is that new inexperienced drivers do not know where these holes are, or they use the wrong type of hook to secure the car.
- Tying chains To Tight: If the shipper tie’s the car down to tight it will bend the frame. If u bend the frame of the car this will devalue it and could cause it to become a salvage car. If you tie the car down to tight this can cause the chains to tear out of the frame or fall out. Your car will move around while the truck is going down the road causing more damage to the car.
- Wrong holes: If the shipper uses the wrong holes to place the hooks they can rip open the frame or fall out while going down the road. Once again if they rip the frame it will devalue your car or cause it to become a salvage car. If the chains tear out of the frame or fall out your car will move around while the truck is going down the road causing more damage to the car.
- Wrong Hooks: If your shipper uses the wrong hooks or doesn’t have the proper hooks for the type of car they are hauling. Once again they will fall out or tear a hole in the frame it will devalue your car or cause it to become a salvage car. If the chains tear out of the frame or fall out your car will move around while the truck is going down the road causing more damage to the car.
What’s wrong with straps? Not much can go wrong with tire straps if you have a good experienced driver. In fact, the only damage we have ever seen with a tire strap is if the driver doesn’t use them correctly.
1. Using the tire strap wrongly: I have seen drivers wrap the strap around the rim of the tire and this wore the clear coat of the rim. This is minor damage and can be fixed inexpensively.
Chains vs. Tire Straps: After reading this section I think we can all agree that shipping your car with straps is the better way to go. The only issue is if you want to spend the extra money it will cost to have a carrier use straps and not chains. Most people never look under their car after shipping and wouldn’t know if the frame was damaged. Tire straps will give you the peace of mind that your car was not damaged.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?