- How To Ship Boat Across The Country
- Preparation Basics
- How To Properly Measure The Boat
- Certain Limitations
- Safe Shipment Tips
- Transporting With Ships
- Related Information & Faq
How to Ship Boat across the Country
When you have to ship your boat across the country, ideally you want to find a service provider which is going to be specialized in this type of transportation as not all the companies are capable of handling it.
You might want to take a look at Better Business Bureau in order to ensure that the company is reputable enough. Online reviews are also helpful so make sure to check out Yelp.com for some honest opinions. If you have issues finding information for a certain service provider, feel free to ask around for actual references, especially if the company seems reliable.
Get a Free, No Obligation to Buy, Boat Shipping Quote.Get my free quote now
or call us to do it for you:
Prior to handing the boat to the professional shipping company, you might want to take a few things into account:
- Measure the boat precisely.
- Secure all of the compartments.
- Remove or stow items such as electronics, antennas, anchors, flag masts and other valuables.
- Drain the fuel tank and make sure to disconnect the alarms/electronics.
How to Properly Measure the Boat
There are three main components that you need to properly measure when you are shipping a boat across the country. They include:
- Width – this is also referred to as the beam. That’s the distance of the widest part of the vessel, including the railings or the attachments.
- Length – you need to measure from the front to the middle of the stern. It’s a particularly important metric as it’s going to impact the method of transportation
- Height – you measure it from the keel to the highest part of the boat. It shouldn’t include the parts which are removable.
Since you most likely paid a lot for your boat, it's only right that you cover your investment by protecting the boat during travel time. For example, while it's on the road being pulled is one thing, but it's also a good idea to have protection while the vehicle is parked at night. If the boat is shrink-wrapped, it may tear while going down the highway and cause damage to others on the highway.
If your boat is rather oversized, you need to account for quite a few things. For instance, they might not be allowed on the roads during certain hours of the day and the driver is going to need to park on the side and wait it out. Furthermore, the insurance is also particularly important and you need to get the collaboration of the transportation company here.
Safe Shipment tips
The height of your boat is particularly important. A healer which has a very tall boat might actually keel over upon the slightest push. You need to trim off a few inches of the height of the boat if you want to counter this hazard. This is going to save you money and ensure higher levels of security. If you can cut back some height by removing some parts – do it.
Transporting with Ships
If you want to cruise through the South Pacific or the Mediterranean, you need a yacht transport ship. There are companies which can carry different cargo but keep in mind that the routes are usually pre-determined. So, if you want to get your boat to a certain location, you can expect to pay a few thousand bucks on top. If you, however, take an existing route, the price is going to be lower.