How To Ship Your Motorcycle To Or From Afghanistan
Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
- Standard shipping costs from the USA to Afghanistan is between $1,600 and $2,000. For super- bikes or more expensive motorcycles,
- As Afghanistan is landlocked, the motorcycle is shipped through Pakistan by container shipping or RORO (roll on, roll off) shipping method.
The Islamic Republic of Afghanistan is a landlocked country located within central and South Asia. It shares its borders with Uzbekistan, Pakistan, Turkmenistan, Iran, Tajikistan and some area with China. . The climate in Afghanistan is cold in the winter with snow and the summers are very hot and dry. This is due to its location in the Hindu Kush mountain ranges.
Though it is the 42nd most populous country, internal strife has increased the political and economy situation volatile in the past few years. However, if you want to bring your motorcycle to Afghanistan from USA on a temporary or permanent basis, there are a few things you should know first.
Cost of Shipping
When shipping your motorcycle to Afghanistan, you will be charged the duty or import taxes based on CIF which is the cost, insurance, and freight value. Additionally, Valorem tariff is a fixed percentage determined by the value of your vehicle.
License and Restrictions
There are some specific restriction and limitations when you are shipping your motorcycle to Afghanistan. If you are here on a short stay and plan to import your motorcycle on a temporary basis, you will first need to fill out the paperwork prior to leaving the United States. Once your motorcycle reaches the port of entry, you will be issued a temporary license. You must be the one that fills out the paperwork and the one who is there when your vehicle arrives at port. Your temporary pass will need to be renewed if you stay longer than your original intentions. Normally a pass will last for about three months.
A-1 Auto Transport ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Permits and Paperwork
If you are importing your motorcycle from the United States to Afghanistan, you will need to apply for permission. Here are the steps to transporting:
- Fill out and submit a Customs Declaration
- Submit the original invoice, or some other type of proof that lists the actual price paid for the vehicle. This document should also list the origin, original Bill of Lading, as well as the packing list.
- Transit permission if the motorcycle will be transported through Pakistan. You can get this document from the Afghan Transit Department at the Ministry of Commerce and Industries (MoCI).
- An emissions certificate that states that your vehicle has met all emissions requirements in order to enter Afghanistan. You will need to submit the EPA form 3520-1 as well as the DOT form HS-7.
Before shipping, you will need to prepare the motorcycle for transportation. Start with cleaning it; note the dings and scratches, while you will need to write down the mechanical issues, if any. It is best to take a few pictures from varied angles. If there are existing damages, it is best to take detailed shots. When you are moving the motorcycle through a freight carrier, you will be required to drain the gas tank, remove the battery and crate the motorcycle. This will minimize movement and thus, reduce any chance of damage.
Types of Shipping
Some of the commonly used methods of freight shipping to Afghanistan include:
- Roll On/ Roll Off - Your motorcycle will be placed directly on the ship. It will need to be able to run on its own. However, during transit the tires are fixed into metal protectors. Once the ship reaches the port in Pakistan, it will be driven off and turned over to customs. Then after clearance, it will be land transported to Afghanistan.
- Container - This method of shipping is an option for those who plan to send over more items with their motorcycle. Your crated motorcycle will fit inside of a 20 foot or 40 foot container where you can pack up your household goods or anything else you want to bring with you.