Shipping a Car to Mississauga from the United States
Moving to Canada comes with a series of challenges – especially if you’re bringing a vehicle with you. Rather than spend valuable time stressing over customs laws or shipping services, why not work with an experienced company? A-1 Auto Transport has decades of experience in shipping vehicles to locations all over Canada, including Mississauga, and knowledge of all the relevant regulations. With A-1, you’ll feel the stress melt away.
Once a suburb of Toronto, Mississauga quickly grew well beyond its simple roots, and today is the sixth-largest city in Canada. Mississauga is well connected to the national rail networks and roadways, and though the city has no port of its own, it’s conveniently nearby Toronto’s harbor on Lake Ontario. Sea access is reached through the Port of Montreal.
You’ve got a choice between two primary types of transportation options – the right one for you will depend on your needs and budget.
- Roll-on/roll-offShipping: A favorite of many due to its combination of affordability and convenience, this option places your vehicle directly aboard the transport vessel. Once in place, it’s strapped down securely to prevent unwanted movement.
- Container Shipping: You may choose to have your vehicle loaded into a cargo container, for added cover from the elements and other risks. Though pricier than roll-on/roll-off services, the unparalleled protection factor makes this is a popular choice with owners of antique vehicles.
You may also take your pick of delivery services:
- Door-to-Door: With door-to-door service, the shipper will gather your vehicle from your home or other places of your choosing, and will deliver it to the desired destination within Mississauga.
- Terminal-to-Terminal: You may, of course, choose to drop off the vehicle yourself at the departure terminal, and pick it up directly upon arrival in Canada.
Navigating through Customs
Vehicles arriving from the United States are subject to customs duties, the exact value of which depends on a variety of factors. Consult the Canada Border Services Agency for full details. You’ll also want to ensure that your vehicle is admissible, as Canada does place some restrictions on what they will admit. This can be checked via Canada’s Registrar of Imported Vehicles.
If everything is in order, simply ensure that you can provide the following documents upon arrival:
- Notarized copy of your photo ID
- Original vehicle title, or a DMV certified copy
The 72 Hour Export Law dictates that a copy of the title must be submitted to the border crossing at least 72 hours in advance.
Final Steps – Getting your Vehicle Ready
Completing the following checklist will ensure that your vehicle is ready to go:
- Vacuum and scrub the car clean of any lingering organic matter – this will expedite the border inspection.
- Clear all personal belongings from the vehicle, as well as taking down any exterior accessories.
- Shut off the alarm system, as it is likely to drain the battery during transit.
- Fill the fuel tank to one-quarter of its maximum capacity, to assist shippers in moving the vehicle as necessary.
- Double-check that all brakes are in perfectly functional condition.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.