The largest municipality and the capital of Nepal, Kathmandu holds the distinction of being the SAARC headquarters. One of the top tourist destinations in Asia, the city is well-connected by air and road transportation. Whether you intend being here for a short stay or on a more permanent basis, it can be an asset to have your own vehicle. Expatriates, diplomats and even foreign students prefer having their own car when they are here on a longer stay as public transportation facilities are poor.
However, as it is a mountainous region, importing a vehicle from US can be time consuming but not impossible. You can save a lot of stress by hiring A1 Auto Transport service, as we have immense experience shipping vehicle to land-locked countries.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
About Nepal Customs and Eligibility.
It is important to know that vehicles older than 5 years are not allowed into the country by Nepal Customs department, it is essential that the shipped vehicle complies with the latest Nepal Vehicle Mass Emission Standard. You don’t have to pay the custom tax and duties if you are importing the vehicle for less than six months, but it is better that you check with the Nepal Embassy, as rules keep changing or you can call in A1 Auto Transport service to know about the latest rules and regulations.
Essential documentation to submit.
As with any import, there are plenty of documents to submit and here is the list of documentations that would be needed by the domestic U.S port authorities and the Nepal customs:
- Purchase invoice of the vehicle with all pertinent information on chassis, model and engine number.
- Ownership of the car proof.
- Owners’ ID and passport.
- Current insurance and title deed.
After your car has reached Kathmandu, you will need Custom’s clearance before it is delivered to you, as the owner. At A1 Auto Transport service, we ensure that we’ll get the needful done so that there is no delay in clearance. Although different countries have varied custom duties, in Nepal, the calculation is done on the value of the vehicle which includes the market price of the vehicle, insurance and freight charges that are applicable. Additionally, 13% VAT is also imposed and has to be paid before delivery of the vehicle.
However, diplomats and VIPs are exempt from paying these duties and custom taxes, on submission of the adequate documents to be eligible for exemption. You need to be aware that these duties and taxes are applicable when you are importing the vehicle permanently or for over 6 months in Kathmandu.
Ways to ship to vehicles to Kathmandu.
As Kathmandu is in a landlocked country, all vehicles are shipped to Kolkata in India and then transported by road crossing the borders to Nepal. When you ship your car from USA, to Kolkata, you can use two methods, namely:
- RORO: Your vehicle is driven on board the freight ship harnessed and secured on the deck and driven off at the port of delivery in Kolkata. However to ensure a speedy clearance, you will need to adhere to specific rules including- steam cleaning the vehicle stripping it of all personal accessories, leaving only the spare tire, keys and quarter tank of fuel only. Air conditioning gas has to be removed before it is shipped.
- Container Shipping: You can hire a 20 feet or 40 feet container and secure your vehicle along with other household or personal goods for transit. This is an expensive proposition as compared to RORO but your vehicle is sealed inside a container and only opened at the port of destination.
It is best to know all of the details on the latest regulations for import of vehicles to Nepal. You can check the Nepal Embassy website and get the details or call in A1 Auto Transport service today.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- What Makes Us Better?