Preparing for a Professional Boat Transport by Road
Domestic USA & International Auto Shipping
- Quote Calculator
Whenever you buy boat shipping services through a professional transporter, you’ll need to prepare the vessel. Shipping companies usually have standard preparation requirements that they expect their customers to complete before the day of transport.
This is to protect the boat and those conducting its transport. This is an important part of a successful boat transport.
A-1 Auto Transport ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Typical Preparation Procedure.
- Remove any hazardous materials.
- Secure all hatches. You should tape or tie them down for further reinforcement. The seal should be tight enough to keep water out.
- Close and lock all windows, doors and other similar attachments that could possibly open.
- Take out any valuable items such as electronics and anchors.
- Disengage batteries and anything powered by electrical or gas.
- Document any damages that the vessel suffers from. Take pictures of the interior and exterior to have proof of the boat’s condition before the transport.
- If the boat is transported during winter months, have it winterized. Drain all water. This includes checking all pumps, water systems, and air conditioners.
- Secure any loose gear and cables inside the boat or out on the deck.
- Remove or lower anything that raises the height of the boat past 13.5ft.
- Have all requested documentation compiled and ready for the transporter.
- Help the boat look its best by cleaning it thoroughly before the transport.
If the boat is improperly prepared, you will likely be held responsible for any damages that occur during the shipping process. The insurance coverage provided won’t acknowledge a claim if the boat wasn’t secured and prepped according to standard. Most transporters will assess the vessel before they start fastening it to the hauler they used to pick it up. If they notice anything worth addressing, they’ll let you know so that it can be resolved.