Portugal Vehicle Registration Process | A-1 Auto Transport
In order to register a vehicle in Portugal on a permanent basis, you’ll be required to obtain a residency card. It should be noted that you do not need to register an imported vehicle if it will be in the country for less than 180 days, providing it has current registration in its country or origin.
To qualify for the 180 day grace period for foreign vehicle registration, there are some conditions that must be met. It must only be for private use and the vehicle must be brought into the country by the registered owner.
The information below applies to vehicles that will be in the country for more than 180 days, or imported on a permanent basis.
As with any country in which you register a car, truck, boat, or motorcycle, there are some documents you’ll need to submit as part of the process. Here’s what you’ll need to register a vehicle in Portugal:
- Certificate of Conformity
- Proof of registration (certificate)
- Customs clearance (proof of duties & taxes paid)
- Registration payment slip
- Roadworthiness certificate (see below)
Imported vehicles must undergo a roadworthiness test in Portugal, as they would in any other European country. The frequency with which you’ll have to take the roadworthiness test after the initial test will depend on the age of the vehicle. New vehicles are typically tested after four years and then every two years thereafter, with used vehicles being tested every two years. After eight years, vehicles are tested annually.
For more information about shipping a car or other vehicle, visit our informational page about Portugal! It has information about the cost of shipping a vehicle, the documents you’ll need to have on hand, and what sort of transport options are available!
Residency Card & Registering A Foreign Vehicle In Portugal
If you plan to register a vehicle in Portugal and use there permanently, you’ll need to apply for a local residency card. Sometimes called a residency permit, this is also required if you plan to stay in the country for more than three months, with or without a vehicle. The following documents are needed to apply for a residency card:
- Passport & copy (with color photos)
- Proof of income
- Evidence of local residency
- Proof of health insurance
- Application form & filing fee
Portugal Vehicle Registration Resources
Test Center Services (Portuguese) – Information about local vehicle testing centers, as well as resources for other transport and road related services in Portugal.
Portugal Traffic Signs (PDF) – If you’ll be driving in the country, make sure you’re familiar with local laws and signage, some of which may be different from what you’re used to.
Considering shipping a vehicle to Portugal? Call us today at the number at the top of the page to find out how we can help! We offer FREE cost estimates to all parties, no obligation required! Whether you’re shipping a car, boat, truck, motorcycle, or van, we can provide a reliable shipping option that fits your budget.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory