How to Ship Oversized Equipment
There is a large demand for the transport of oversized equipment. Surely, you’ve seen the freight trucks on the highway with the signs that read “Oversized Load” on the back of them as they take up nearly two lanes while transporting. This is because most oversized equipment is shipped by ground transport depending on where it must go. If shipping internationally, oversized equipment is transported by ship. Either way, it is possible to have oversized or heavy equipment transported to another location.
Get a Free, No Obligation to Buy, Heavy Equipment Shipping Quote.Get my free quote now
or call us to do it for you:
The types of oversized equipment that is often shipped is quite diverse. There are many different kinds of heavy equipment and they all serve a specific purpose. Some of the oversized equipment often shipped includes:
- Skid Steers
- Pipe layers
- Material Handlers
- Track Loaders
- Underground Equipment
- Highway Equipment
- Hydromatic Tools
As you can see, there list of oversized equipment can go on and on. Under each type of heavy equipment listed, there are many different models even. So the need for shipping these large pieces of equipment is extremely relevant.
Preparing Heavy Equipment for Shipping
- Refer to the owner’s manual for proper packaging techniques and materials if your heavy equipment must be packaged. You can contact the manufacturer or check the website if you no longer have the owner’s manual
- Disconnect any batteries or alarm systems
- Drain all fluids except the fuel which must remain below the transporter’s standards
- Secure or remove all loose parts and accessories
- Make sure there is plenty of space for the transport company’s hauler to come retrieve the heavy equipment
- Have all required permits gathered and ready
- Cover any parts of the equipment that you don’t want exposed to inclement weather and other outside hazards if it is being shipped by means of open air services
- If your heavy equipment is being shipped overseas with the RO/RO method, it may need to be operational and you’ll also need to provide the requested proof to Customs
By preparing the oversized equipment for its transport, you’re greatly reducing the risks involved. Not only is preparation required for the equipment’s sake, but it also keeps those transporting it safer too.