If you receive orders to ship out to Hawaii, you will most likely want to take your vehicle with you as well. Privately owned vehicles, or POV can be shipped from the United States to Hawaii with A1 Auto Transport Service.
There are alternate ports that military personnel can use for transport that is approved by the Military Traffic Management Command (MTMC). You will need to issue a request to use the alternative port in order to have your personal shipping office aware of the incoming vehicle.
Get a Free, No Obligation to Buy, Auto Shipping Quote.Get my free quote now
or call us to do it for you:
Whether you are in a privately owned vehicle or leased vehicle, you will want to have it shipped to the new duty station at the expense of the government. You can, however, ship your own POV but you still need to consult with your sponsor and the transportation office to get clearance. You will most likely need to pay for an import duty on a second private vehicle. Your local transportation office will be able to assist you with that information.
Preparing your vehicle for shipment.
Before you get started, you will need to prepare your vehicle and Have all your documentation ready and available to view at request. Military POV shipping to Hawaii documentation includes:
- Proof of entitlement - bring one copy of your official orders and amendments.
- Show proof of identity - Bring with you a valid government or state issued ID.
- Show proof of ownership - You can verify your ownership by bringing with your proof of registration, a lien holder authorization letter, or even the title of the vehicle. It must have the service members name on it.
- Print out and fill out the IAL form and have it ready to hand In.
- Have the lien holders information so they can be contacted to verify.
- If you have a leased vehicle, you will need to obtain a letter that authorizes the exportation of your vehicle.
Prepare your vehicle for shipping by washing it both inside and out in order to clean it free from debris. You will also want the doors, the trunk, and underneath the seats to be cleaned as well. Remember, nothing can be left inside the vehicle such as a loose video or even the band radios. Any vehicle shipping out of a port in the United States is subject to a search in order to determine that the vehicle is clean, ready for transport, and is prepared. At this time, any blemishes will be noted and you are required to sign the DD788 Inspection Form. Not all branches will have the same requirements for importing your vehicle.
- The army and Air Force personnel are accepted for shipment as long as they are delivered to the port within three months after the department date of the serviceman.
- The navy and Marine Corps personal vehicles will be accepted when there are at least twelve months remaining on their term to serve.
Another necessity is the EPA and DOT stickers that are an assurance that the vehicle is compatible with the environment laws of the state. You might want to contact A1 Auto Transport service to know more about the process.