Importing Vehicles Into USA From Denmark
International car shipping between America and European countries is common. Americans often have to go to the European nation of Denmark for work and business purposes. Similarly, people in this Nordic European nation relocate temporarily or permanently to the US. As a result, these travelers at some point import vehicles into the USA from Denmark.
Unfortunately, seas separate Europe and America. So, to import vehicle into USA from Denmark, you need air or water transport. An International car carrier can help with the transport. Read on to find out what the importation process involves.
Cost & Time Examples for Import a Car from Denmark
|Esbjerg to (California port) to San Jose, CA||$3900||$200||30+5 days|
|Copenhagen to (New York port) to Boston, MA||$2500||$400||16+5 days|
|Copenhagen to (California port) to Portland, OR||$3800||$475||30+6 days|
|Copenhagen to (California port) to Phoenix, AZ||$3800||$550||30+6 days|
|Esbjerg to (New York port) to Charlotte, NC||$2600||$575||16+6 days|
|Copenhagen to (New York port) to Atlanta, GA||$2500||$700||16+6 days|
|Esbjerg to (California port) to Denver, CO||$3900||$775||30+7 days|
|Esbjerg to (New York port) to Memphis, TN||$2600||$800||16+6 days|
|Copenhagen to (New York port) to Miami, FL||$2500||$925||16+7 days|
|Copenhagen to (California port) to Dallas, TX||$3800||$1,025||30+7 days|
- *Prices and times are estimated. They can vary depending on the season and the type of vehicle.
- *Save the ground transport cost by delivering the vehicle to the nearest port.
- *Allow an additional 10 days to process the documents.
- *Prices are for 1 car in a dedicated 20ft container. This is the safest and most reliable way to transport a vehicle internationally. Other items may be included in the container to help save you money when moving.
- *Using the RoRo (roll on, roll off) method is less expensive and shipments can be completed in fewer days. Contact us now for a free RoRo quote.
Consider the US regulation on vehicle importation
The US Customs Border protection has strict regulations governing the importation of vehicles into the US. These are the emissions standards set by the EPA and the safety and bumper standards set by the Department of Transport (DOT). Foreign vehicles not specifically manufactured for sale in the North American market hardly ever conform to the set standards. While modifications can be done before entry at the US ports, the process is extremely expensive and does not work for all vehicles. If not modified, such vehicles can only be imported temporarily. In other cases they are exported back or destroyed.
There are exceptions to the strict EPA and DOT vehicle importation guidelines. For example, vehicles older than 25 years old need not comply with all the emissions standards. For more information on the vehicle importation guidelines, visit the US Customs and Border Protection website.
A-1 Auto Transport ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Export requirements in Denmark
When you export a vehicle from Denmark, it is deregistered from the Danish Register of Motor Vehicles. Once it is deregistered, you can claim a refund on part of the original tax registration. To do so, follow the following steps;
- The first step of this process is having your car inspected by SKAT.
- Then request a valuation from SKAT. Note that, for you to request a valuation, the inspections must have been done in the past four weeks.
- Return the number plates to a plates provider or motor registry office.
- Submit documentation of the export acquired in the second step.
SKAT refunds the vehicle registration tax in about three weeks. Submit the proof of vehicle ownership if you are not in the Danish Register of Motor Vehicles. If the vehicle is bought in connection with the export: submit an invoice, a purchase agreement or a sale note.
Click here for more details on the vehicle registration tax refund.
Carefully choose a shipping company
When it comes to international shipping, you have to be careful with whom you entrust your vehicle. You do not want a situation where you wave off a vehicle from the port and that becomes the last you see of it. Look for shippers that have a solid track record, that are trustworthy, professional, and most of all, have experience transporting vehicles from Denmark to the USA.
US-based companies who provide the service are your best option. They are familiar with the US customs regulations. Also, they have better shipping equipment and have transport routes all over the country. That is, they can transport your car from the port to your doorstep or a ware house near you.
A-1 Auto Transport can help you import vehicle into USA from Denmark. We have established vehicle shipping routes from Copenhagen, Frederiksberg, Aalborg, Randers, Kolding, and other major cities in Denmark to all major cities in all 50 states in the US.
Cost of importing vehicle into USA from Denmark
The cost of importing from Denmark into the USA is dependent on several factors, e.g. import and export duty. The customs duty you pay is dependent on the amount paid or payable for the car. To know the exact amount, you are expected to pay, contact the customs offices in both countries.
The next addition to the total cost is the shipping cost. The cost of shipping is determined by;
- Ports on the west coast (Pacific Ocean) are farther away from Denmark compared to ports on the east coast (Atlantic Ocean).
- Method of shipping. Shipping can either be via air or water. The most affordable shipping means of transport is When you choose water transport, the options are between container shipping or RORO shipping. Generally, container shipping is more expensive and considered more secure. However, RORO shipping is equally as secure, convenient and cheap. The vehicles are rolled into the vessel and tightly secured on the decks. These vessels are water-tight and air-tight. So, the cars are protected from harsh weather conditions.
That is what you need to know to import vehicle into USA from Denmark. Understanding the importation regulations is a crucial part. Hiring a professional shipping company is equally important. Visit this page, or call us for an instant quote.
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.
Email me - firstname.lastname@example.org